iPhone 14 - pill-shaped hole instead of notch

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

I follow this guy on twitter, and he says the hole will likely be pill-shaped, and that the under-screen face ID will work just as well as it currently works.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

I follow this guy on twitter, and he says the hole will likely be pill-shaped, and that the under-screen face ID will work just as well as it currently works.
So in other words... round?

46380-90380-46236-90019-iPhone-14-side-xl-xl.jpg

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
So in other words... round?

46380-90380-46236-90019-iPhone-14-side-xl-xl.jpg

I think he meant elongated, like a capsule (he was distinguishing from round). I would assume, if that's the case, that it's vertical, with the top touching the top bezel - the space above a punch hole is completely useless.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think he meant elongated, like a capsule (he was distinguishing from round). I would assume, if that's the case, that it's vertical, with the top touching the top bezel - the space above a punch hole is completely useless.

I'd like a stock scroller using a 2pt font ...

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I'd like a stock scroller using a 2pt font ...

Yeah, you know, now that I think about it, they *could* use that space for the little dots that indicate privacy events (camera is on, mic is on, etc.)

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not interested in the 14 Pro models but i’ll likely get the 14. Not sure that’ll have the pin hole camera though. Not really bothered if there is a notch on my next iPhone to be honest.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
And we have an update from someone else who has been fairly reliable in the past:

1642009258192.png

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Honestly, this is what the notch should've been to begin with.

OK so is this whole notch beef something that's mostly because app designers have to code around it, or is it something most users even ever noticed?

I have to say it occurred to me when I first saw it that my response as an app developer would have been heh what a royal PITA. But as a user... shrug...

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I have to say it occurred to me when I first saw it that my response as an app developer would have been heh what a royal PITA. But as a user... shrug...

It's not something that drives me up the wall with irrational anger, but it is a little distracting. In this instance, less is more.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
They should make cutouts that spell A P P L E. Lots of room for cameras, mics, etc., plus, super effective branding ...

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
OK so is this whole notch beef something that's mostly because app designers have to code around it, or is it something most users even ever noticed?

For developers it’s not really an issue at all. The sdk provides us with anchors for ”safe areas” (that we can use), so it’s easy to avoid any notch (or any future variation on the notch).

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score

Naah the notch is not a problem at all for devs. You should be using the Safe Area APIs most of the time anyway (the notch is not the only thing you might want to avoid, there's the multitasking handle on iPadOS, or the double height status bar when in a call on non-notch devices).

For example, supporting the iPhone SE 1st gen (4" screen) is much more of a PITA than supporting the notch. The screen is so small it tends to break a lot of things that fit on a single line on any other devices into several lines, and it's not uncommon for a lot of the UI elements to not be prepared nor tested for that, specially if you combine it with Dynamic Type. On the other hand it's a good test of whether the UI design is robust, so I like that it still exists.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
So really the notch is just another peg to hang stuff on, if one likes to complain and thinks that things like a like white bezel --or any bezels-- or curved (or, square) corners or glass backs etc., have all become too shopworn already as serious complaints. Can hardly wait to see what pops up next. Maybe colors again?

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
If a part of my screen needs to be missing, my preference would be to have it at the edge of the screen, not in the the screen itself. But I'll get it regardless.

Top Bottom
1 2