iPhone 16 can be restored from another iPhone

I'm a little confused. Does "restoring" in this situation mean transferring all apps/data/photos/settings/etc on my current iPhone 15 to the iPhone 16 I'll soon be picking up? In other words, setting it up for use.

Rather than using my Mac like I've done in the past.

I'm a little confused. Does "restoring" in this situation mean transferring all apps/data/photos/settings/etc on my current iPhone 15 to the iPhone 16 I'll soon be picking up? In other words, setting it up for use.

Rather than using my Mac like I've done in the past.
Is this different from restoring from iCloud? That's how I've been doing it for years.

This is restoration of the OS - it’s what happens when you put the phone in recovery mode nowadays, and then use a Mac to reinstall the operating system. People have to do it when something goes very wrong (i.e. their file system partition gets mangled) or when they want to roll back from a beta OS, for example.

I haven’t had to do it myself since the iPhone 3G days.

This is restoration of the OS - it’s what happens when you put the phone in recovery mode nowadays, and then use a Mac to reinstall the operating system. People have to do it when something goes very wrong (i.e. their file system partition gets mangled) or when they want to roll back from a beta OS, for example.

I haven’t had to do it myself since the iPhone 3G days.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Back