Light wave logic gates could make computers a million times faster

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
When the article said that logic gates take on the “order of nanoseconds” I lost interest. What year is it, 1985?

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
When the article said that logic gates take on the “order of nanoseconds” I lost interest. What year is it, 1985?

I managed to read farther, to the part where lasers zap wires to generate current. WTF is that? If you have optical circuitry, the lasers should go into the medium and carry the signals through non-linear-index optical logic gates to generate results. Anything else is just an electronic computer with alternative signal sourcing.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I managed to read farther, to the part where lasers zap wires to generate current. WTF is that? If you have optical circuitry, the lasers should go into the medium and carry the signals through non-linear-index optical logic gates to generate results. Anything else is just an electronic computer with alternative signal sourcing.

Sigh, yeah, now i read the rest. It could be useful to interface electronic and optical circuitry, but to make this less silly you’d have to add in vcsels or something to turn the electrical signal back into photons to drive the next switch. Also seems likely to be pretty inefficient.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It seems there’s always a catch when optical processing enters the mix of systems that are traditionally digital or analog.

I haven’t been keeping up with the tech, but In the distant past I worked in a lab that developed novel methods of channelizing radio frequency spectrums for detecting and analyzing RF signals. One method used optical techniques.

Laser light passing through an acousto-optic Lithium Niobate crystal (called a Bragg cell) modulated by wideband RF energy stimulating the cell via a transducer on the crystal, and then passed though a series of lenses would produce a channelized image that was the Fourier transform of the wideband input RF spectrum; essentially at the speed of light.

We got the physical size down to that of a shoebox; containing, the optical bench, HeNe laser, series of lenses, and target linear CCD array. Over time, for a different project with different specs, that was reduced down to a small ceramic substrate in a micro-min package using a laser diode for stimulus.

While speed of light processing sounds impressive, the catch in this case was imaging the channelized light onto a linear CCD array and then reading that information out with sufficient dynamic range (not great, due to photon/dark noise), digitizing, and then doing something with it. Which was always at more pedestrian rates.

Today, with far less noisy CMOS image sensors, the dynamic range would be far greater and thus more useful.

But… digital signal processing in custom silicon, particularly fast multipliers needed for FFT spectral analysis pretty much makes that moot. Indeed, when I left that company there was a group in the process of developing in-house custom digital FFT and correlator chips for processing wideband RF spectrums with far greater dynamic range. And optical signal processing (at least at that time) was no longer interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2