Lisa source code released

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
You guys must have been rich.

First time I touched a mac was in Exponential’s lab.
Started with the Fat Mac so 512K but not the updated 512Ke. That cost something like $2600 in 1986 (about $7000 in today’s dollars). Financed it since I had started my first job out of college and could finally get a credit card. I was getting paid time and a half for overtime at my software engineering job doing 60 hour weeks so I had a lot of disposable income (at least it seemed that way to me).

I upgraded the Fat Mac through the official Apple upgrade to the 512Ke and bought a 1.5 MB RAM upgrade that clipped on the PALs on the motherboard. I also picked up an external serial port hard drive. Having a 2 MB 68000 workstation in 1987 or so was something. It blew away the IBM PC at the time.

Eventually I upgraded the Mac to the Mac Plus using a third-party gray market surplus seller. That got me official support for 4 MB of DIMMs and the SCSI port for a new 40 MB hard drive.

All told I must have put $6K-$7K into that early Mac before I moved on to a Macintosh IIx.

casperes1996

Power User
Reaction score
My roommate in grad school had a NeXT cube. I was so jealous.
I'm retroactively jealous of someone I don't know :p
NeXT Station and NeXT Cube were awesome. I've been on the lookout on the used markets to see if I could get a hold of a NeXT Cube or a PowerMac Cube for years, but never see any pop up in my region. I'm only lacking a few more computers to finish my personal favourites list. Especially happy with the G4 iMac in the closet. I always loved that design.

Top Bottom
1 2