M2 Pro/Max/Ultra Gaming Benchmarks.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Easier said than done. Breath of the Wild (probably the single most important thing that kept the Switch launch from being a failure) is an absolute masterpiece of a game. Even if Apple went with first party games, I'd be very surprised if they made a game half as good in their first years.
That is part of why I advocated for the Microsoft path: buy someone. A publisher or a developer. Now there is an argument to be had on who a good buy would be.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Andrew Tsai has released a video of an M2 Ultra Mac Studio (60-core GPU) running 15 games, with a mix of titles that run natively, on Rosetta 2, or utilize Apple's game porting toolkit. As Andrew states, he's benchmarking the M2 Ultra, not because many folks will purchase one for gaming, but because it will give us a glimpse of the future of mainstream Apple Silicon performance.

What I find most notable are the native games, which are hopefully the future of Mac gaming, not the various hacks to get x86 games running. He's running "AAA" native titles at 4K, ultra settings, albeit with MetalFX turned on. The obvious caveats aside, that's remarkable, given the previous state of Mac gaming. Mac titles were so horrendously optimized that they were barely playable, in some instances, so Apple's technical assistance has been invaluable. Let us hope they keep it up.

As an aside, I want to give Andrew credit. Many reviewers, which don't have access to press units, purchase Macs and then return them to Apple after they are done. Andrew keeps all of the models that he reviews, so that he can use them in benchmarks.

Top Bottom
1 2