M4 P Core Cell choices (tech insights)

Yeah I think it’s interesting

insights about m4

Sadly, vague insights. They usually have a lot of depth in their free content, vs what’s now just an advertisement ☹️

Aye though to be fair, that the M4 uses a different, high performance, cell library for the P-cores as opposed to the high density library used previously and for the rest of the current SOC is quite interesting. If I remember right from the MR discussion between him and @theorist9, I think @leman was already ruminating on recapitulating his tests of power vs frequency for the M4 and those should be extra insightful into the design of these cores if there is anything to be seen in those graphs vs the others.

Agreed. I'm still scoping out the floor plan and will follow up with my findings--

Ah! When skimming the blog post I’d missed the full article with the floor plan and other interesting details 🤦‍♂️

Anyway, one thing that jumps out at me in the M4 die shot is that the number of Thunderbolt blocks has doubled to 4, now matching the M3 Pro/Max. That should make a bunch of prospective MacBook Air / Mac Mini / iMac owners happy.

Back