MacOS 15 System Settings rumors

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’d prefer if they’d revert to the age-old panel design, but that ship has sailed. Sounds like they aren’t planning anything major, but they are aware that the organization needs a rework.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
Been relying almost exclusively on search since they ruined system preferences. A three column view could work. Two columns don’t.
I've had much the same thought. There's so many places where they're emulating three columns with buttons that pop up a dialog and it's a nightmare, especially when they make the buttons indistinct (that's a whole other rant - I absolutely despise "flat" UI design). Settings would be far cleaner if they made it work more like column view in Finder whenever there's a large number of subtopics.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Back in the Leopard days, I had some sort of add-on, perhaps it was called "MenuEnhancer", that gave me a sub-menu off of System Preferences in the Apple menu so that I could just go right to the thing I needed. It was awesome. Also, I used PathFinder as my Finder, and I could get a cascading directory navigation submenu tree straight off a folder right-click.

But, I have stayed away from Mac during the Intel years, so the way things work these days is taking me some getting used to.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
I agree. The current setup is a hot mess. It's crazy that I often have to use the search function when I'm trying to find or change a setting.
Its a mess but its migrated to the swiftUI framework which is hopefully a sign of more unification between the ipad and the mac.

I know some people hate the idea of platform convergence, but they're now basically the same hardware, the same kernel.... all it needs is some UI widgets that adapt to the input paradigm (i.e., swiftUI) and we're looking at cross platform software that shifts UI between touch and mouse/keyboard pretty seamlessly.

I foresee that macos and ipados will converge and essentially just use a slightly different UI based on whether touch or keyboard/trackpad are present.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Its a mess but its migrated to the swiftUI framework which is hopefully a sign of more unification between the ipad and the mac.

I know some people hate the idea of platform convergence, but they're now basically the same hardware, the same kernel.... all it needs is some UI widgets that adapt to the input paradigm (i.e., swiftUI) and we're looking at cross platform software that shifts UI between touch and mouse/keyboard pretty seamlessly.

I foresee that macos and ipados will converge and essentially just use a slightly different UI based on whether touch or keyboard/trackpad are present.
I don’t mind convergence as long as it doesn’t result in deletion of features just because they’re hard - or impossible - to implement on one platform.

Top Bottom
1 2