RIP Mark Margolis (Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Mr. Margolis, who passed away at 83, was best known for playing Hector Salamanca. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen these series yet, but Mr. Margolis was able to convey so much with just a glance in that role. His career spanned many decades, and even included a spot on Star Trek: The Next Generation. He will be missed.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mr. Margolis, who passed away at 83, was best known for playing Hector Salamanca. I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen these series yet, but Mr. Margolis was able to convey so much with just a glance in that role. His career spanned many decades, and even included a spot on Star Trek: The Next Generation. He will be missed.
Oh no! Not Hector! (Did they check his pills?)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried Breaking Bad, but hated it. I enjoyed watching the struggles of Jimmy McGill to be a good person, and turned that off when he became Saul. Just don’t need that kind of story in my life, although I have watched other dark shows like The Sopranos and The Americans where I spend my time rooting for something bad to happen in the bad guys lives. :unsure:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I tried Breaking Bad, but hated it. I enjoyed watching the struggles of Jimmy McGill to be a good person, and turned that off when he became Saul. Just don’t need that kind of story in my life, although I have watched other dark shows like The Sopranos and The Americans where I spend my time rooting for something bad to happen in the bad guys lives. :unsure:
I realize those shows weren't for everyone, but I found them fascinating as character studies showing how people can change in response to circumstances.
In some ways, Walter White and Jimmy McGill ended up going in opposite directions. White went from a respected family man to a monster, but McGill basically redeemed himself at the end.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
One thing I loved about Breaking Bad is how it appeared to be written out from bringing to end, even though it wasn’t. So many shows - Lost being a prime example - introduce characters, stories and mystery and then can’t tie them up at the end. With Breaking Bad, you take a character like Margolis’ Salamanca, he appeared almost as comedy relief for a couple episodes, then became a major character in the story. I believe Jesse Pinkman was mostly the same. Maybe Saul too.

I thought there was enough places humor in the show to lighten the mood and remind you that it’s a TV show. But it’s not for everyone,

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
One thing I loved about Breaking Bad is how it appeared to be written out from bringing to end, even though it wasn’t. So many shows - Lost being a prime example - introduce characters, stories and mystery and then can’t tie them up at the end. With Breaking Bad, you take a character like Margolis’ Salamanca, he appeared almost as comedy relief for a couple episodes, then became a major character in the story. I believe Jesse Pinkman was mostly the same. Maybe Saul too.

I thought there was enough places humor in the show to lighten the mood and remind you that it’s a TV show. But it’s not for everyone,
Interestingly, Jesse Pinkman was supposed to be killed off at the end of S1. But Aaron Paul did such a good job, and critics and fans liked the character so much, the show-runners decided to keep him.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I realize those shows weren't for everyone, but I found them fascinating as character studies showing how people can change in response to circumstances.
In some ways, Walter White and Jimmy McGill ended up going in opposite directions. White went from a respected family man to a monster, but McGill basically redeemed himself at the end.
This is good to know. I read your spoiler. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

I watched this man who the impression, he was a decent person, suffering a medical crisis turn down significant help from a friend to become a shit. Yes, it is a character study, but one I was not in the mood to suffer though. :)

Top Bottom
1 2