Meta Is Preparing to Notify Employees of Large-Scale Layoffs This Week

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
When it rains, it pours. Part of me gets it but I hate seeing this happen to employees just before the holidays.

The planned layoffs would be the first broad head-count reductions to occur in the company’s 18-year history. While smaller on a percentage basis than the cuts at Twitter Inc. this past week, which hit about half of that company’s staff, the number of Meta employees expected to lose their jobs could be the largest to date at a major technology corporation in a year that has seen a tech-industry retrenchment.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
No, it's not. Especially considering a vast amount of these jobs came about due to the pandemic. Life and business shifted to being more online. But I still find it disturbing considering current inflation and many struggling just to make ends meet.
Agreed.

And, it will be interesting to see where these lay-offs have occurred, whether - as has been the case with twitter - certain specific arms (to do with diversity, content moderation etc) have been targeted for layoff, or whether (mere) economic considerations have dictated this course of action.

Moreover, I am also concerned about the clear economic problems of these platforms, and how this will play out politically, in the US, over the coming weeks, whether these platforms will choose to add to what is suspect will be inevitable political tensions and to generating political instability, or not.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
But I still find it disturbing considering current inflation and many struggling just to make ends meet.

The layoffs in tech are starting to remind me of the 1973 or 1974 (it's hazy to me at this point) layoffs during the severe recession of that era. Weirdly, techies were actually doing ok at that time, it was a period when businesses were only beginning to get on board really computerizing their workflows and had begun to downsize some of their workforce as a result of that, but this was way different. Corporate layoffs in November that year were horrendous, and got tagged "The Thanksgiving Massacres" around water coolers and probably in the media as well. A lot of them literally happened on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. It was just awful.

My group as consultants had just the prior week been contracted to start some business planning project, and the idea had been to just settle in a bit on the pre-holiday Wednesday, figure out where the in house clients 'offices were, where the copy and printer rooms were etc., and then start the following Monday, since the company was giving employees the Friday off to extend the Thanksgiving holiday.

But when we showed up on Wednesday, people were wandering around with packing boxes, crying, the open area of cubes and a few utilitarian offices and conference rooms that we were supposed to have occupied were being used by HR clerks busy terminating in-house workers... and so I and the others on my team ended up in some hastily vacated HR middle-management offices with mahogany desks and credenzas and leather sofas. They were to be our offices for project duration. And there was nothing to do that day, no clients to meet. It was beyond bizarre. We left on the dot of 5pm, eager to escape the stink of desperation and confusion that had greeted us.

It was difficult to feel celebratory about our good luck having landed our contract and even having a job, what with the in-house clients of any and all external consulting groups still unsettled by departure of many of their colleagues and in some cases their managers. The project ended up being difficult thanks to gaps in the client-side residual knowledge bases. Every single department had been forced to slash its headcount, by how much I don't know but it left holes of around 25% in the groups I worked with. Anyway they way overdid the cuts, or made them willy-nilly and axed people they needed, for sure.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Having lost $700 billion I'm surprised it took so long.

I am too, actually. Wall Street already flashed disapproval a few times.

Unfortunately, this is not remotely surprising.

However, notwithstanding the "Meta" re-branding exercise, in the popular mind, FB remains FB, and may find it hard to jettison that baggage.

I'm not surprised that Zuckerberg didn't want to revisit his plans for moving us all into virtual reality but I'm surprised he has been as stubborn about it for as long as he has been, considering it's still a publicly traded enterprise. I completely agree about FB. Call it what they like, it has not resolved concerns over scale of influence, moderation, compliance with privacy regulations and past bad behavior.
Zuck must really admire Musk. 🙄

Yeah. Well Musk did him a favor by making the Twitter headcount slashing a public clusterf^ck. Zuckerberg will probably have got all his ducks in a row and will try to finish his retrenchment by the book. It will still shock whoever is laid off, disrupt tech job markets, dismay headhunters and jobhunters alike, put a dent in the regional economy for sure, but won't generate the level of ill will towards Zuckerberg that Musk earned for himself in mainstream business reporting on the tech sector.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another blow to the outrage economy. I wonder if we’ll ever get an analysis of how much damage social media did compared to the good. You got to monitor your grandkids‘ carefully curated life up to the point that a radicalized extremist blew their house up.

Top Bottom
1 2