Moving from Canon 6D MkII to the Sony a7R III

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I shoot JPG+RAW, and usually only spacebar-preview the jpgs. Once I’ve identified the image I am looking for, I open the RAW version in photoshop or whatever.

Thanks... I believe what I'm experiencing is that I *think* my previous Canon dSLRs embed a small jpeg within their .CR2 RAW files. And Macs are smart enough to immediately display the jpeg when spacebar-previewing a .CR2 RAW. Or if not an embedded jpeg... that my Canon image sizes are 20 MP, while my Sony's are 61 MP, and thus open much slower when spacebar-previewing.

After futzing with the Sony menus... I can store a .ARW raw file + a .jpeg file. However the jpeg is not embedded, but separate files that alternate with the .ARW raws. Something I'd rather not deal with. It would be great if they were embedded instead and could be instantly displayed as I "arrow down" and spacebar-preview files in a folder.

I guess that means I need to arrow-down twice for every spacebar press. Not the end of the world - I'll survive. :)

Fortunately, there's an option in Lightroom to only import the .ARWs and ignore the separate .jpegs with the same name.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks... I believe what I'm experiencing is that I *think* my previous Canon dSLRs embed a small jpeg within their .CR2 RAW files. And Macs are smart enough to immediately display the jpeg when spacebar-previewing a .CR2 RAW. Or if not an embedded jpeg... that my Canon image sizes are 20 MP, while my Sony's are 61 MP, and thus open much slower when spacebar-previewing.

After futzing with the Sony menus... I can store a .ARW raw file + a .jpeg file. However the jpeg is not embedded, but separate files that alternate with the .ARW raws. Something I'd rather not deal with. It would be great if they were embedded instead and could be instantly displayed as I "arrow down" and spacebar-preview files in a folder.

I guess that means I need to arrow-down twice for every spacebar press. Not the end of the world - I'll survive. :)

Fortunately, there's an option in Lightroom to only import the .ARWs and ignore the separate .jpegs with the same name.
I sort by file type (by clicking on the column header), so all the jpgs are first (or 2nd, doesn’t matter). When i find the img number I want by scrolling through the jpgs, I then go open the raw with the same img number.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I sort by file type (by clicking on the column header), so all the jpgs are first (or 2nd, doesn’t matter). When i find the img number I want by scrolling through the jpgs, I then go open the raw with the same img number.

Excellent - thanx!

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A bit of good news...

Last night I got a marketing email from B&H announcing their Sony Black Friday sales event.

Checking it out on their website shows the A7R V body and 35mm f/1.4 GM lens I purchased last month on the 27th, is now $400 less for the body and $100 less for the lens during the sale.

This morning I sent B&H a nice email asking if they would credit back the $500 difference. Received a reply back saying they'd process a $500 credit back to my B&H store credit card. Checked my card account online and the $500 credit was there.

The above just adds to the good experiences I've had with B&H over the last 20 years.

Also...

Selling my old Canon 6D body and 24-105mm f/4 L lens to KEH went smoothly with the proceeds deposited to my PayPal account. This afternoon I sent off three other Canon lenses (35mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and a 40mm f/2.8) to KEH. Should get the proceeds next week.

One more camera and two lenses to go (which may be tricky being 4x5 format).

Top Bottom
1 2