Music gear supply chain issues

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Back in August of 2020 I preordered the new version of the SUBPAC. For those unfamiliar with the SUBPAC, it's a sub speaker in a mold that can either fit on the back of your chair or you can strap it to yourself like a backpack. You feel all the low end in your back/body without it shaking the building. With headphones on it sounds and feels like you're at an arena concert but none of the low end can be felt or heard outside the room. Using the older version I've worked on many tracks at the wee hours of the morning in an apartment with zero complaints from neighbors or cohabitants. They were blissfully asleep. Beyond music it is also great for watching movies with the full sound experience while not disturbing anybody else. For those interested, https://subpac.com/

When I placed the preorder it was expected to ship about 4 months later. It still hasn't shipped...over 2 years later. They have been sending update emails though. The original delay was caused by Covid shutdowns and then moved to supply chain issues. As a small company with a fairly boutique product they aren't exactly top of the food chain on components manufacturing. I'm not upset about it, but that's pretty extreme, especially with a company's only product.

Even more alarming is due to all the issues involved the price went from $400 to $1,000. 🤯 Glad I preordered and they are honoring that preorder price.

Anybody else experience any music gear supply chain issues?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Back in August of 2020 I preordered the new version of the SUBPAC. For those unfamiliar with the SUBPAC, it's a sub speaker in a mold that can either fit on the back of your chair or you can strap it to yourself like a backpack. You feel all the low end in your back/body without it shaking the building. With headphones on it sounds and feels like you're at an arena concert but none of the low end can be felt or heard outside the room. Using the older version I've worked on many tracks at the wee hours of the morning in an apartment with zero complaints from neighbors or cohabitants. They were blissfully asleep. Beyond music it is also great for watching movies with the full sound experience while not disturbing anybody else. For those interested, https://subpac.com/

When I placed the preorder it was expected to ship about 4 months later. It still hasn't shipped...over 2 years later. They have been sending update emails though. The original delay was caused by Covid shutdowns and then moved to supply chain issues. As a small company with a fairly boutique product they aren't exactly top of the food chain on components manufacturing. I'm not upset about it, but that's pretty extreme, especially with a company's only product.

Even more alarming is due to all the issues involved the price went from $400 to $1,000. 🤯 Glad I preordered and they are honoring that preorder price.

Anybody else experience any music gear supply chain issues?
Wow, glad you shared the price because it was the first thing I was questioning, definitely still a leap of faith on your part. I've experienced some delays throughout the pandemic but this is crazy, you have the patience of a saint lol but what are you going to do? 🤷‍♂️

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, glad you shared the price because it was the first thing I was questioning, definitely still a leap of faith on your part. I've experienced some delays throughout the pandemic but this is crazy, you have the patience of a saint lol but what are you going to do? 🤷‍♂️

It's not like there is a lot of (any?) competition for this product and I've been more than satisfied with the previous version which still works. They've offered a full refund to anybody with preorders but I consider the money already spent and I'm happy to help keep them afloat in these financially hard times. I'm somewhat surprised they've managed to stay afloat, especially considering their HQ is in SF. Not exactly a cost-effective location for a small business that could really be located anywhere with no change to their revenue stream.

Top Bottom
1 2