my new favorite photo | a community game

oldBCguy

Site Champ
Reaction score
.. portraits of a special lady … outside on our apartment's balcony, for happy-hour on a rather cold (and snowing) day in mid-February, 2021.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_40fc.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_40fe.jpg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
When I'm on the street making candid photographs, I try to be mindful of a handful of things; what to include and not include in the frame, quality of light, shadows, gesture, keeping vertical and horizontal elements vertical and horizontal, human interaction, letting some details drop into the shadows to evoke mystery, etc.

After making this photo and processing it, I'm reminded that I also need to pay attention to potential unwanted reflections in windows. :)

91021440_10219023704758295_3303297044281556992_n.jpg

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
After making this photo and processing it, I'm reminded that I also need to pay attention to potential unwanted reflections in windows. :)

Well, is that not what cropping is for? Some 15 years ago, I bought an inexpensive camera (see above photo), choosing the particular model because it included a viewfinder. These days, unless you get a bulky DSLR, cameras are nearly all devoid of a viewfinder: in daylight shots, framing using the LCD display is very difficult, so I take multiple shots and crop aggressvely to get what I want.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Well, is that not what cropping is for? Some 15 years ago, I bought an inexpensive camera (see above photo), choosing the particular model because it included a viewfinder. These days, unless you get a bulky DSLR, cameras are nearly all devoid of a viewfinder: in daylight shots, framing using the LCD display is very difficult, so I take multiple shots and crop aggressvely to get what I want.

I guess... But for candid photos, especially with movement, I don't make photos with cropping in mind or make multiple exposures. Rather... I wait for the right moment to release the shutter - with all elements how I want them in the frame, and in this case waiting until the woman was directly in front of the man, with eye contact between them (that was a bonus, and not guaranteed).

Sometimes in post I need to mess with perspective skew to correct vertical and horizontal elements, which usually forces a crop.

I do make multiple exposures for posed street portraits when things are static and have a lot of time.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve seen worse. Like the guy who posted a tea kettle on eBay, but forgot that tea kettles reflect so the photo showed his reflection taking the photo…in the nude.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's tough to pick a single favorite photo. So here's one that might be in the top ten or twenty if I were keeping track (I'm not). What I like about it is that it's an expression of young love and candid. It just happened where I happened to be hanging around at the time in San Francisco, and luckily I had a camera.

Young love.jpg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Not a favorite photo, but rather a collection of a my favorite photography projects I've worked on over the years. Thought I'd share a few.

In general, they are sets of photos that follow a theme, or subject matter. Some photo sets are contained in an enclosure I designed, such as handmade wooden boxes using different hardwoods (cherry, mahogany, and maple) that are used to display one of a dozen single prints contained within the box. Others are tins. Some are handprinted, others commercial. A couple were printed off my laser printer. :)

At the bottom is a handmade double accordion book I designed and printed. When folded, it's contained in the tin right above the book.

The book in the center, Tenderloin USA, is a collection of portraits another photographer and I made of people we encountered in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood over a year walking around in the neighborhood and hitting people up for a chat and portrait. We offered that book for sale online with all book proceeds donated to Larkin Street Youth Services, a SF charity that helps kids living on the street, providing various services and shelter.

Projects.jpg

oldBCguy

Site Champ
Reaction score
.. three views of a 'favourite tree' and its location in Harrison Hot Springs ... located on green space alongside Harrison Lake, with the lake and surrounding mountains in the background (photos taken on two consecutive days, on a trip & stay in September, 2021).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_45ce.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_45cf.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_45cb.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2