Netflix is shuttering its original business

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
The days of yore, Blockbuster, Netflix DVD in the mail, Redbox. Actually saw a Redbox the other day, and thought to myself (how quaint).

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ruh-roe, on the password crackdown. The only goddamn service where I actually use someone else’s account for a change.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
The days of yore, Blockbuster, Netflix DVD in the mail, Redbox. Actually saw a Redbox the other day, and thought to myself (how quaint).

There's still one just down the street from me. I didn't think they were facing extinction yet.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I continued to get DVDs for longer than most people specifically because new releases were always available on DVD and it was spotty when they would be available on streaming, on which services, and some never went to streaming or it was many, many months later.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I just don't get this, they seem to have endless money to pay for these productions and actors just to make really shitty movies. You would think they would allocate some of that towards decent scripts.

Perhaps that's the result of password "sharing" now being so pervasive, resulting in reduced revenue, and thus lower quality movies.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I just don't get this, they seem to have endless money to pay for these productions and actors just to make really shitty movies. You would think they would allocate some of that towards decent scripts.
Flops are, at least, a write-off. But the production companies do have a (metaphorical) book of movie-making standards and formulas kind of like how reporters use the Chicago Manual of Style to guide their writing. They just keep framing concepts by the book and hoping for one out of hundreds to pay off. Kind of like throwing fecal matter at the wall.

In a decade or so, you will have your own personal moviebox. You will tell the AI what kind of story you want and it will build a plot, construct the script and render the movie, perhaps drawing from the internets, perhaps using locally stored data/tempates.

There is an old aphorism that says there are something like 36 possible plots. Some exact, small number, obfuscated by the wealth of details that can overlie them.

Top Bottom
1 2