New Dell XPS 13 Plus has non-delineated trackpad.

U

User.45

I’m 50-50 on the Touch Bar. I do like it for quickly accessing emoji and some cool features in other apps, but having to tap twice to access volume control? Not so much. I actually just use the menu bar controls for volume now; I find it more convenient than the Touch Bar.
The demise of touch bar was that apple cheaped out on it. If they added haptics to it it would have been fantastic.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The demise of touch bar was that apple cheaped out on it. If they added haptics to it it would have been fantastic.

It definitely needed haptics. It should have required that, in order to register, you needed to press on the buttons like keys. Even then would be annoying for touch typists, but less annoying.

U

User.45

It definitely needed haptics. It should have required that, in order to register, you needed to press on the buttons like keys. Even then would be annoying for touch typists, but less annoying.
Imagine if you could customize the resistance for the bar and change haptic feedback patterns for individual virtual keys, etc.
The tech had lots of potential, but the execution was incredibly half-assed, especially for Apple. I was really thinking they were planning to implement something like that, but were waiting to be able to make it cheaper.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Imagine if you could customize the resistance for the bar and change haptic feedback patterns for individual virtual keys, etc.
The tech had lots of potential, but the execution was incredibly half-assed, especially for Apple. I was really thinking they were planning to implement something like that, but were waiting to be able to make it cheaper.

Yep, me too. I would be perfectly happy if they made the function keys have programmable OLED displays in their caps, but if you aren’t going to give me something with real keys you better make it feel like real keys, or you better move it to the plane of the display instead of a surface I shouldn’t be looking at when I’m working.

U

User.45

Yep, me too. I would be perfectly happy if they made the function keys have programmable OLED displays in their caps, but if you aren’t going to give me something with real keys you better make it feel like real keys, or you better move it to the plane of the display instead of a surface I shouldn’t be looking at when I’m working.
I remember writing some bash script in Xcode and scratching my head when it didn't run until I realized my hand was on the touchbar.
It really managed to amplify my incompetence. Though I loved having CROP available in powerpoint or #out in Xcode.

U

User.45

What's a "touch bar"?

If I wanted to touch things on my "computer" on any kind of screen, I use my iPad. I want keys & a touchpad thank you.

😝
Ironically the touchbar works much better when iPad is used as a second screen.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Ironically the touchbar works much better when iPad is used as a second screen.
Unsurprisingly, any touch oriented activities have worked pretty well on an iPad with no Macbook connected. 🤷‍♂️

:sneaky:

I can't really say more, since I've never had a Macbook with touchbar or wanted one. I personally just wanted a laptop with keys. I'm not even the biggest fan of a trackpad, I use a MX mouse.

Top Bottom
1 2