Newly announced games for Mac.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Huh … they didn’t announce this game for the Mac but you’ll never guess who’s pissed about that:

It’s true, Blizzard used to be a reliable Mac developer. Hopefully with the changes outlined in the WWDC they can be again. Otherwise they face the wrath of … Whoopi Goldberg.

I had no idea she was a gamer.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Huh … they didn’t announce this game for the Mac but you’ll never guess who’s pissed about that:

It’s true, Blizzard used to be a reliable Mac developer. Hopefully with the changes outlined in the WWDC they can be again. Otherwise they face the wrath of … Whoopi Goldberg.

I had no idea she was a gamer.
Good for her. It’s a shame they stopped making Mac games and it would be amazing if Whoopi could bully them into porting Diablo, but I doubt it

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Good for her. It’s a shame they stopped making Mac games and it would be amazing if Whoopi could bully them into porting Diablo, but I doubt it
Hopefully Mac games and a change in company culture 😬. I’ve heard Diablo 4 is good and even developers who have had problems with Blizzard want people to buy/play the game to support their work, but damn.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Star Trek!

"Paradox Interactive and developer Nimble Giant Entertainment, under license from Paramount Consumer Products, today revealed Star Trek: Infinite, a grand strategy game based on the iconic sci-fi franchise. Set a few decades before Star Trek: The Next Generation, players will run an entire fleet within the Star Trek universe, commanding one of four major powers in the galaxy: the United Federation of Planets, Romulan Star Empire, Cardassian Union, or Klingon Empire."

"Star Trek: Infinite is coming to PC and macOS this Fall."

I call dibs on the Cardassians!

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
The mainstream press is starting to pick up on Apple's efforts in Mac gaming.

In the interview, according to Tsuyoshi Kanda, a Capcom producer who was in charge of developing Resident Evil Village:

"The RE [Resident Evil] engine was initially developed [years ago] with Windows architecture in mind, so when I was tasked with porting it to Apple silicon, I thought it would be really challenging," he said. "But it went surprisingly smoothly, thanks to the unified memory of Apple silicon."

Whenever I hear about third-party graphics cards or eGPUs, this is proof enough that we won't see them. It's the console-like development environment that makes the difference.

"MetalFX allowed Resident Evil Village to pull off tasks similar to Nvidia’s machine learning DLSS," Kanda added, referring to AI-powered graphics that are found in high-end graphics card for Windows computers.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
BTW, this stuck out to me:

However, it hasn’t been all smooth sailing. Kanda conceded the team hasn’t been able to figure out how to incorporate ray-tracing technology (technology that allows lighting in 3D graphics to reflect off other 3D graphics with real-life physics) into the Mac version of the game yet. But that’s something his team is working on.

I wonder if Kanda is aware that hardware ray tracing is in the works for future Apple Silicon, but had to give a political answer, by saying "we're working on it".

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
BTW, this stuck out to me:

I wonder if Kanda is aware that hardware ray tracing is in the works for future Apple Silicon, but had to give a political answer, by saying "we're working on it".
Interesting article, thanks for posting it. I agree hopefully it's just filling in safe answers until the “real” answer arrives.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score

Could also be that he doesn’t know. Apple NDAs are legendary for a reason.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
MrMacRight has released a performance and technical review of Bloober Team's Layers of Fear for Apple Silicon Macs. It's the first Unreal Engine 5 game for Mac, specifically 5.1.1, and is compatible with all features, excluding ray tracing. The review isn't really about the game, but the technical details, performance on multiple Mac models, and comparing upscaling technologies between TSR and MetalFX.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
I haven’t heard anything, but I would love to know how RE:Village did in terms of sales. It would be great if Capcom made good money. I was hoping perhaps more games would follow such as the RE 4 remake or even Street Fighter 6.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Jason Snell on the Upgrade podcast, claims Assassins Creed Mirage is coming to Mac. Not clear whether he’s speculating, or he has heard something.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Apple said it's coming to iPhone. Mac doesn't feel like much of a stretch to be honest.
I'm hoping and thinking this is the strategy. Get games on all platforms and show that combined, Apple has a sizeable market to address. If the 15 Pro has gpu perf that can enable actual console and pc titles, that could change things.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Apple said it's coming to iPhone. Mac doesn't feel like much of a stretch to be honest.
You’d think … but there have been big games that came to iOS, iPadOS, Windows PC, XBox, PS, Switch, and Android but not macOS. 🤷‍♂️ It’s one of the reasons I roll my eye a little when (Linux) users rage against Metal as the reason Mac (Linux) gaming isn’t bigger and why doesnt Apple just adopt Vulkan. Because yeah that would solve the problem …

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
RE4 confirmed for Mac as well as iOS!

I'd be all over that. But my first experience with the game was in VR. Even though it looks much better, and it would be fun to have something to run on my Mac, I'm not sure it could top the VR experience. I even just started playing it again recently when I couldn't get connected to my PC. I might play some more tonight.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
You’d think … but there have been big games that came to iOS, iPadOS, Windows PC, XBox, PS, Switch, and Android but not macOS. 🤷‍♂️ It’s one of the reasons I roll my eye a little when (Linux) users rage against Metal as the reason Mac (Linux) gaming isn’t bigger and why doesnt Apple just adopt Vulkan. Because yeah that would solve the problem …

Oh, I get it. Something like Minecraft Bedrock Edition runs fine on M1 machines if you can get it installed. But platforms also invoke a support cost (testing, etc). I see so many devs get squeamish on that front.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm hoping and thinking this is the strategy. Get games on all platforms and show that combined, Apple has a sizeable market to address. If the 15 Pro has gpu perf that can enable actual console and pc titles, that could change things.
So from this interview, the strategy does seem to be as mentioned.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
So from this interview, the strategy does seem to be as mentioned.
Another key point: We’re a far cry away from the days of “oh and all games have to be playable on the Apple Remote - which everyone will have - so developers won’t that be great?”

Top Bottom
1 2