Oklahoma mother says daughter's world history assignment pushes Christianity

fooferdoggie

Site Master
Site Donor
Olivia Gray, a concerned mother from Skiatook, is questioning the appropriateness of a school research assignment her daughter received at Skiatook High School.

The assignment titled "How did the world start?" asked questions like "Who started it?" "What does it mean to be a Christian?" and "Is God real?"

Gray said her daughter, a sophomore, brought the assignment to her attention, prompting Gray to voice her concerns on Facebook.

"My daughter is in AP classes and is a very intelligent young woman," Gray said. "If she didn't have concerns about this assignment, she wouldn't have shown it to me."

A screen shot of an assignment Olivia Gray says her daughter was given at Skiatook High School.

Gray said the questions are inappropriate for students, especially for Native American students. She expressed concern over what she said was bias in the questions given to students in a World History class online assignment.

"I think they're the wrong questions to ask a Native student, considering our history," Gray said. "If you consider how we've been forcefully converted, I don't think asking us any questions about Christianity is fair at this point."

1. By natural means
2. Why would there be a “who”?
3. Whenever intelligent beings evolved enough to create the idea and label it.
4. We inherently think of well-being or else we would have died out long ago. But “evil” is subjective - for instance I don’t think picking up sticks on the sabbath is evil, but I do think slavery and stoning unruly children to death is evil.
5. Acting in a way that promotes well-being for as many as possible.
6. Evil
7. A religion
8. To practice Christianity
9. No
10. No.

Back