Panos Panay going to amazon

Aaronage

Power User
Reaction score
No idea if this is true, but not thrilled about the possibility.
The devices org covers a lot - Alexa/Echo, Fire devices, Ring, Blink etc.

Aaronage

Power User
Reaction score
seems like a step backwards for him
I'm not sure. The devices org covers Fire (tablets, dongles, TVs etc.), Kindle, Echo/Alexa, Ring, Blink, Eero, Zoox etc. - mostly well loved products moving in interesting directions.
I guess Windows trumps all of that, but it doesn’t strike me as a rewarding project to oversee. It doesn’t seem possible to do anything interesting with Windows - everything Microsoft has tried over the last decade and change has been a total disaster.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure. The devices org covers Fire (tablets, dongles, TVs etc.), Kindle, Echo/Alexa, Ring, Blink, Eero, Zoox etc. - mostly well loved products moving in interesting directions.
I guess Windows trumps all of that, but it doesn’t strike me as a rewarding project to oversee. It doesn’t seem possible to do anything interesting with Windows - everything Microsoft has tried over the last decade and change has been a total disaster.

I think it depends on how you look at it.

Panos was responsible for the Surface team before taking on Windows as well. Expanding the line of in-house devices as Microsoft built up chops for designing laptops, tablets and a desktop or two for mass production while trying to not step on the toes of partners is a whole thing.

Amazon has some interesting devices here, but many are mature products already in their rhythm and/or purchases (Ring, Blink, Eero and Zoox). Unless Amazon wanted him for some new project or restructuring effort, it seems like an odd choice for him.

That all said, it seems like whomever takes over Windows tends to leave the company as their next move. But if you report to the CEO, there’s not much else you can do to get promoted within the company other than become the CEO’s successor.

Top Bottom
1 2