PSA: Why it's best to stay current with macOS.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I did some digging, and it appears to be a common complaint over at MacRumors concerning the latest security patch. I don't use Facebook, so I can't comment personally, but one user claims to have a fix by changing the user agent, rather than forgoing the patch, which is kinda important.

Addendum: It may have something to do with the parenthesis "(a)" for the Safari version number.
Yeah, looks like the Facebook web app does a version check, and hasn’t blessed the OS version yet. It’s a facebook bug.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I did some digging, and it appears to be a common complaint over at MacRumors concerning the latest security patch. I don't use Facebook, so I can't comment personally, but one user claims to have a fix by changing the user agent, rather than forgoing the patch, which is kinda important.

Addendum: It may have something to do with the parenthesis "(a)" for the Safari version number.

Thanks for the heads-up - very much appreciate it!

My MacRumors ban doesn't lift until tomorrow at 7:22am. :)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

First, thanks so much for these notices! I applied the patch on my iPhone without difficulty, but it would install on my wife's iPhone 8 - it said she wasn't connected to Wi-Fi, which she was. I'm going to try again later.

On the iPhone, I got a notice that the patch had been applied after installation, but not on my iMac - I had to check for updates again. If Apple wants to boost uptake they need to clean up some things.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
I didn't get any notice on my Mac or phone about the update. I went into Software Update to get it. If this is such an important update why was there no notification?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn't get any notice on my Mac or phone about the update. I went into Software Update to get it. If this is such an important update why was there no notification?

They stagger the notifications over the course of a day or so. Also, many people have it set up to automatically install, which it tends to do at night when the computer isn’t busy.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What did you do? Did you advise one of MR resident trolls to go find something productive to do with their life? I’m pretty sure that’s not allowed.

IIRC, and I may have this wrong since I can't go back right now and see what my offending comment was in response to.

Someone suggested MacRumors should change their name because (I think) the person making the comment was unhappy about the quality of MR rumors. Or it could have been about everyone complaining about something having to do with MacRumors...

Anyway, I posted: Commenters -> MacWhiners

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Thanks.

I've been messing around with User Agent. And it works changing to Google Chrome - macOS. And typing in facebook.com replacing m.facebook.com.

But... It isn't sticky. If I open a new FB window it reverts back to Default(Automatically Chosen), and then loads in the mobile version (m.facebook.com) that's condensed in width and other issues.

Seems Google Chrome - macOS won't stay sticky.

I tried removing the (a) in User Agent -> Other , and that works. But no joy... opening a new window reverts User Agent back to Default (Automatically Chosen). I looked into Safari Settings... hoping to find a way to keep User Agent sticky, but didn't see anything there.

Think I need to wait for Facebook coming up with a new version.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks.

I've been messing around with User Agent. And it works changing to Google Chrome - macOS. And typing in facebook.com replacing m.facebook.com.

But... It isn't sticky. If I open a new FB window it reverts back to Default(Automatically Chosen), and then loads in the mobile version (m.facebook.com) that's condensed in width and other issues.

Seems Google Chrome - macOS won't stay sticky.

I tried removing the (a) in User Agent -> Other , and that works. But no joy... opening a new window reverts User Agent back to Default (Automatically Chosen). I looked into Safari Settings... hoping to find a way to keep User Agent sticky, but didn't see anything there.

Think I need to wait for Facebook coming up with a new version.

Looks like Apple pulled the update, and will issue another update shortly with a replacement user agent without the “(a)” to make cheesy websites happy.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looks like Apple pulled the update, and will issue another update shortly with a replacement user agent without the “(a)” to make cheesy websites happy.

It's back to normal this morning.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
As @Cmaier stated, Apple pulled the update, and plans to re-release it after addressing the website compatibility issue.

Apple is aware of an issue where this Rapid Security Response might prevent some websites from displaying properly. Rapid Security Response macOS 13.4.1 (b) will be available soon to address this issue.

As stated in Apple's notice, you can remove the RSR in both iOS and macOS, if retaining this functionality is vital, until the revision is released.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Apple has issued a revised RSR for iOS, iPadOS, and macOS. For Ventura, it brings the version number up to 13.4.1 (c), with similar names for the other updates, replacing the previous (a) version. Where exactly (b) went to, we shall never know, and therefore will remain an unresolved mystery lost to the annals of time. We shall weep for our long lost (b) update, woe is all!

This should fix any issues that users were having with website compatibility. I never uninstalled the previous version, which I think Apple should have kept, because removing access to anything from Meta is a feature, not a bug.

I would suggest that everyone install the new RSR as soon as possible, particularly if you didn't get the old one, because it patches a security vulnerability that Apple considers to be actively exploited.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
According to this post from CitizenLab at U Toronto, an "iPhone Zero-Click, Zero-Day Exploit [was] Captured in the Wild". They reported it to Apple, who responded with security updates for Ventura, iOS 16, and iPadOS 16. It's not made explicit in the article, but it sounds like those using Lockdown Mode were already protected from this, and that today's security updates are designed for those who aren't. No word on whether earlier OS's are vulnerable, and whether Apple will be releasing security updates for those as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2