Rumor: End of the lightning port

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
What?! You don’t just bring the new iPhone close to the old iPhone and let it do everything itself? Heck, that little feature has made it worth upgrading phones every year!
This is what I always do. People always say it's slow and unreliable, but that hasn't been my experience. It's always been fast and reliable for me.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
What?! You don’t just bring the new iPhone close to the old iPhone and let it do everything itself? Heck, that little feature has made it worth upgrading phones every year!
Saw that for the first time at Christmas when my wife got her new iPad. Will definitely make upgrading easier.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Oh I totally forgot I use it for that too. Although WiFi debugging hasn't been too bad for me. It has seemingly improved A LOT since they first shown it (WWDC '17!).
It works, but it’s slow for me every time I hit a breakpoint. It also creates some interesting questions about debugging network code, especially when recreating low/no-network states.

This is what I always do. People always say it's slow and unreliable, but that hasn't been my experience. It's always been fast and reliable for me.
I wonder how much of it depends on how congested WiFi is at the time. WiFi works pretty well in our house, but it’s not an apartment building with a dozen different networks crowded together, and a lot of the heavy load is shunted over ethernet so the wifi is free for devices that rely on it.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
I believe it works without a WiFi AP. If I'm not wrong, it is device to device WiFi connectivity.
Device to device just means one device becomes an AP and the other its client. That tiny ad hoc WiFi network still has to compete with all other nearby WiFi networks for the same RF spectrum, so heavy nearby WiFi traffic definitely can impact migration speed.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
If they go port less they will kill any connected peripheral capability. Wireless isn’t always an option.

I think it’s time to go usb type c as per the first post. I also prefer lightning as a connector but the rest of the world including my MacBooks are type C. I’d like to stop carrying lightning cables for charge etc. wireless is great but I’d prefer the options.