Tesla rolling out FSD beta 10.10 - RIP rolling stops

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Many people seem to be mourning the "bug" fix and Teslas now have to fully stop.

Even Elon Musk is disappointed lol
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1489466267010543621/

I'm on the fence, with as much traffic as there is in CA I can tell you nobody ever fully stops at stop signs, if you slowly come to a stop people will honk at you. It will be interesting to see how they handle this in the software, maybe a quicker roll up to the stop sign or something. 🤷‍♂️

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Many people seem to be mourning the "bug" fix and Teslas now have to fully stop.

I'm on the fence, with as much traffic as there is in CA I can tell you nobody ever fully stops at stop signs, if you slowly come to a stop people will honk at you. It will be interesting to see how they handle this in the software, maybe a quicker roll up to the stop sign or something. 🤷‍♂️

I fully stop, and i don’t care if people honk at me.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

They can pay for my ticket, take the points, and the increase in insurance premiums if they get mad at me for stopping at a stop sign.
My wife is the same way. Me, meh, not so much depending on the situation but I come close lol.

However, at busier intersections you can probably sit there for hours and never see a single full stop. Not sure what it's like elsewhere but the California stop isn't just a myth and not necessarily dangerous, it's more about keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife is the same way. Me, meh, not so much depending on the situation but I come close lol.

However, at busier intersections you can probably sit there for hours and never see a single full stop. Not sure what it's like elsewhere but the California stop isn't just a myth and not necessarily dangerous, it's more about keeping up with the flow of traffic.

I live in the Bay Area, and I’d say about half the people stop. A higher percentage stop when there are other cars around.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
I live in the Bay Area, and I’d say about half the people stop. A higher percentage stop when there are other cars around.
IIRC Teslas rolling stop feature also wanted there to be no one in the intersection and for the speed of the road you are turning onto be less than 35 mph.

Folks on TMC claimed they had rarely seen the car not stop. I turned that feature off even though I don’t think there was anywhere I was driving where it would have done it.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Same here. Every time.

Taking stops signs as mere suggestions used to be the domain of bicyclists; to which I plead guilty.

In the mid-peninsula Bay Area over the last two years during the pandemic, I've been seeing more and more automobile drivers now taking the same stance. It's almost commonplace. Even rolling though a red light before making a right turn.

Not sure what's going on with that, but I'm guessing it's people feeling stressed out with anxiety, having yet another "one more thing" pressing on their lives.

Pre-pandemic, from observation, I'm guessing I'd see single digit percentages of drivers rolling through a stop. Today, 30% wouldn't surprise me at all.

U

User.45

IMHO it really boils down to AI ethics. Do we really want to give the "option" to AI to break rules? If there's a large scale justification for breaking the rule, shouldn't we just change the rule?

I consider breaking the rules a human privilege. Change my view.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
IMHO it really boils down to AI ethics. Do we really want to give the "option" to AI to break rules? If there's a large scale justification for breaking the rule, shouldn't we just change the rule?

I consider breaking the rules a human privilege. Change my view.
I’ve talked with @theSeb about this, Speeding. You want your car to keep with the flow of traffic, and no one does the speed limit, therefore AI is going to have to speed to keep up. Which isn’t legal (technicallly).

U

User.45

I’ve talked with @theSeb about this, Speeding. You want your car to keep with the flow of traffic, and no one does the speed limit, therefore AI is going to have to speed to keep up. Which isn’t legal (technicallly).
I like the reasoning:) But for speeding he user sets the desired speed range so technically, they decide to break the rules not the AI.

Top Bottom
1 2