Tesla steering wheel counterweight argument

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Just not really any interest. We've owned 4 BMWs, the Tesla is something totally different. The i4 design looks like all the other ICE 3/4 series (including weirdly unnecessary ICE design elements), the interior isn't nearly as spacious - whether that's measured or perceived it's the same to me - as our TM3 (the BMW interior retained some ICE-ish-ness, it lacks that super open canopy ratio). I find the Tesla way more interesting, some mix of the car, performance, tech and company pushes my buttons more. A buddy if mine, who is the in the position to get an i4 if he desired, has the same perspective.

Then the real deal killer: the (DCFC) charging network, it's not even close (at least in the US).

I definitely would consider a BMW EV in the future, like about 2 year out - which will also be a good point to determine how the charging infrastructure has developed - it's just not what I'd want right now. :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Not that it's unheard of but I've never known anyone to go electric and return to the ICE, it's more of a step backwards as everything is moving the opposite way.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not that it's unheard of but I've never known anyone to go electric and return to the ICE, it's more of a step backwards as everything is moving the opposite way.

Who wants to buy a car that requires stops at gas stations, has all sorts of complicated parts that can break, has a low cargo/passenger-space-per-volume ratio, and belches stinky stuff out its tail pipe once you’re used to the alternative?

I still recall seeing the Tesla “sled” with just the battery, motor, and suspension. It’s so elegantly simple. ICE is such a kludge.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Heck, I can't wait to replace our 2nd ride which is a PHEV with a BEV :D

Don't get me wrong, it's been pretty solid, and it has done a good job of being a very competitive EV, and having an ICE system that's greatly improved by the hybrid tech.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
I'm sure you guys will see this eventually, but if I was a Tesla owner, I'd be getting it :)

Non-MR site with the info:

Project website:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm sure you guys will see this eventually, but if I was a Tesla owner, I'd be getting it :)

Project website:
I've never messed with Raspberry Pi before so it looks like there's a learning curve that I'm not sure I'm ready for yet, I'll still keep my eye on it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Project website:
Wouldn‘;t work for me. Web browser in my tesla couldn‘t possibly play video. My car is too old.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I won't consider a car without CarPlay. It's a shame Tesla doesn't have it and probably never will. I've thought about getting a Tesla at various times but no CarPlay is a huge deal breaker for me.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I won't consider a car without CarPlay. It's a shame Tesla doesn't have it and probably never will. I've thought about getting a Tesla at various times but no CarPlay is a huge deal breaker for me.
Last time I tried using their messaging hands free I accidentally sent a text to my mom (who has since passed months ago) while trying to send to someone else. Also, if you don't get the gestures exactly right when you try to cancel it still sends your garbled text anyway. It's flat out a terrible design and pretty much useless.

Tesla is a great EV in its own right but I have no compunctions about bypassing their shitty systems, whether it's the FSD or hacking in CarPlay, but I'll wait until there is a simpler way to integrate it than buying Raspberry Pi devices.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

I used to be more into CP back when I had my two Mustangs (and I really just used Music and Nav, no 3rd party apps), now I rarely think about it, and we still have a vehicle that has it. Like I outlined in another post, I wouldn't use CP nav in the Tesla, I wouldn't want to lose all the really slick real-time battery/range/charging information, and for Music and Podcasts, Spotify (premium) is a solid alternative to Apple Music that works natively on the Tesla, and has apps for iOS, CP, AA, plus a desktop app that integrated nicely with our Sonos gear.

When I look at the incredible Supercharging network in the US - or when I stand on the accelerator - I don't think about not having CarPlay :D

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
If you MUST have CarPlay, don’t bank on it in your BMW.
That’s why I’m hunting down a nearly new one. Not having a car I ordered coming with half the bits missing!

Top Bottom
1 2