The Amazon Effect

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazon appears to rule the retail environment. Years ago in another thread, in another forum, I mentioned this. I told you the story of spending 3 hours driving all over town looking for a specific kind of swim trunks for lap swimming and no one had them in stock. Amazon did, recieved in 2 days. Then there was the wireless phone battery, where I called the local Batteries Plus store, and they did not stock them, but could get them for me in 10 days. And finally the plumbing gasket I needed that the local plumbing supply store that caters to contractors did not stock. Amazon? Overnight. In all cases less expensive. In all cases, except for the gasket, multiple pages to choose from.

Ok, fast forward to today, visiting my Son in Wichita, Kansas, needed some stuff, went to the local Walmart Super Center.
  • House slippers- all crappish and on the expensive end for what they offered. Ordered on Amazon.
  • An inexpensive PC headset with a mic and volume control- haha, JBL, Bose. The somewhat inexpensive ones were wireless which I don’t want and where crappy looking, not sure if they had mics, because they were locked up in a case, no mics were visible, and no one around to help me. Ordered on Amazon.
  • Lightning charger cable- locked up and expensive. The Apple ones, if I did not misread them were $30. Ordered on Amazon.
So again, Amazon wins despite the chance of getting cheap Chinese crap, they have fast delivery and free returns … if you are a Prime member. Isn’t everyone? 😉

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
We buy a lot of stuff on Amazon, but prefer brick-and-mortar stores for items like TVs and appliances, as well as clothes and shoes that we have to try on and/or want to see in person.

You're right about speed. Increasingly, Amazon can deliver the same day or overnight. Hard to beat that. The biggest problem I have is that there are so many nearly identical options for some products. Judging from the misspellings I suspect many of them are from China, and some are counterfeit. Reviews are frequently not helpful, but, as you say, returns are easy.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We buy a lot of stuff on Amazon, but prefer brick-and-mortar stores for items like TVs and appliances, as well as clothes and shoes that we have to try on and/or want to see in person.

You're right about speed. Increasingly, Amazon can deliver the same day or overnight. Hard to beat that. The biggest problem I have is that there are so many nearly identical options for some products. Judging from the misspellings I suspect many of them are from China, and some are counterfeit. Reviews are frequently not helpful, but, as you say, returns are easy.
For a TV, I usually head to Costco. Last fridge bought at Lowe’s on sale. :)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I've been an Amazon customer for around 20 years and purchase most things there (except camera gear - that's always at B&H). Zero issues, never a problem - even purchasing a large bathtub and other stuff for house construction.

Returns are easy, if needed.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Amazon wins because it is easy. Once you pick what you want, it can literally be 1-Click checkout. Or if you want to change address/payment type, then 3-4 clicks.

And now I live someplace where Amazon delivers, I get most stuff next day. And returns couldn't be easier, just a few clicks and then drop at UPS store.

What does annoy me is sites that accept Paypal, but still make you fill in all your information. That is what Paypal is for.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Amazon wins because it is easy. Once you pick what you want, it can literally be 1-Click checkout. Or if you want to change address/payment type, then 3-4 clicks.

And now I live someplace where Amazon delivers, I get most stuff next day. And returns couldn't be easier, just a few clicks and then drop at UPS store.

What does annoy me is sites that accept Paypal, but still make you fill in all your information. That is what Paypal is for.
Another thing I like about Amazon is the ability to look up past purchases going back decades. It helps when re-ordering, and it's sort of fun to see what I bought in the past. We have an iron that still going strong after almost 20 years!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Another reason for Amazon.

I have a 2-way radio and set of comms in my SXS. Since I use the headsets with mic, I don't need the plug in mic on the radio. But somewhere along the way, I lost the dust cover for the mic port (RJ45).

Yesterday when I was at Dirt Expo I asked the Rugged Radios booth if they had any I could buy. He said no, to but check online.

So this morning I searched for RJ45 dust covers, I had many options for single ones at $0.45-0.61 each. I only need 1, but would order 2 for a spare. So $0.90 for 2. Plus $15.95 shipping.

Got a pack of 20 from Amazon for $9.99 with Prime Shipping.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Another reason for Amazon.

I have a 2-way radio and set of comms in my SXS. Since I use the headsets with mic, I don't need the plug in mic on the radio. But somewhere along the way, I lost the dust cover for the mic port (RJ45).

Yesterday when I was at Dirt Expo I asked the Rugged Radios booth if they had any I could buy. He said no, to but check online.

So this morning I searched for RJ45 dust covers, I had many options for single ones at $0.45-0.61 each. I only need 1, but would order 2 for a spare. So $0.90 for 2. Plus $15.95 shipping.

Got a pack of 20 from Amazon for $9.99 with Prime Shipping.
There's just no way the little guy can keep up with the mega giants, we benefit as consumers but you get why it's hard for any real small businesses to succeed.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
There's just no way the little guy can keep up with the mega giants, we benefit as consumers but you get why it's hard for any real small businesses to succeed.

Yes and no. The place that had them for $0.45 was a huge wholesaler of networking supplies. So not a small business.

Actual shipping cost should have been less than a couple of dollars in a padded envelope via USPS. So maybe $4.95 and they make a couple bucks. But what they wanted was too much.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My latest Amazon snag was a box of ladybug and baby penguin pushpins.

Perfect for subtly accessorizing our walls here and there. And maybe a couple on the ceilings.

Attachments

• Ladybug push pins.jpg
    Ladybug push pins.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom
1 2