Upcoming ios/macos to have dedicated passwords app

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

(I don’t have a non-paywalled version)

Hallelujah. Tired of having to explain to my family how to access our shared passwords. Also tired of having to go into settings myself. A separate app makes so much sense.

Altaic

Power User
Reaction score
I like passwords being in the settings app, but I could see that a separate purpose-tailored app could be nice. I feel like that may be more of a commentary on shortcomings of the settings app, though.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I like passwords being in the settings app, but I could see that a separate purpose-tailored app could be nice. I feel like that may be more of a commentary on shortcomings of the settings app, though.

there’s just too much stuff in there, and fitting in with the UI in the settings app is not the best way to design the UX for a password app.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

(I don’t have a non-paywalled version)

Hallelujah. Tired of having to explain to my family how to access our shared passwords. Also tired of having to go into settings myself. A separate app makes so much sense.
yes, apple sucks for finding a password.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
It was about damn time. The current thing was ridiculous, particularly when using 2FA. Having to look into Settings > Passwords > [The account you're looking for] > 2FA was beyond ridiculous. I wonder what will happen with Keychain Access on macOS though.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was about damn time. The current thing was ridiculous, particularly when using 2FA. Having to look into Settings > Passwords > [The account you're looking for] > 2FA was beyond ridiculous. I wonder what will happen with Keychain Access on macOS though.
me too. The keychain has a bunch of stuff in it that doesn’t fit in to the current “passwords” thing. I’d also like it if the new passwords app is a little more flexible. Allow more fields, allow passwords without userids, and multiple domains for autofill to a single password, etc.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
me too. The keychain has a bunch of stuff in it that doesn’t fit in to the current “passwords” thing. I’d also like it if the new passwords app is a little more flexible. Allow more fields, allow passwords without userids, and multiple domains for autofill to a single password, etc.
☝🏻
☝🏻
☝🏻
☝🏻

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
All still based on the keychain. Just a new application that uses the keychain APIs.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Keychain, and the truth is I haven’t really used my password manager since Keychain debuted. But it’s not as simple as a password manager, and does need some more options.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The app is pretty nice. Hopefully they add more features over time.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Looks like Keychain Access is still there. Though (this already happened in Sonoma) it directs you to the new Passwords app:
Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 12.49.14.png

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm looking forward to using the Passwords app. But think I'll wait a week or two to first get others' experiences/opinions.

Just don't feel like mucking around with something that currently works great, but is a little annoying to use.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to using the Passwords app. But think I'll wait a week or two to first get others' experiences/opinions.

Just don't feel like mucking around with something that currently works great, but is a little annoying to use.
It’s already pretty nice. Separate sections for wifi passwords, 2-factor codes, etc. if you want to filter that way. And it looks like they added the ability to tie passwords to multiple domains, which was one of my gripes.

What i’d still like is just a way to store secrets without domains and user ids, the ability to store certificates (maybe it’s in there and only shows up on mac? i haven’t tried) so that i don’t need to use the keychain app, and the ability to attach documents to entries and have them be protected. Other than that, it’s way easier to use than it was when it was hidden in settings.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It’s already pretty nice. Separate sections for wifi passwords, 2-factor codes, etc. if you want to filter that way. And it looks like they added the ability to tie passwords to multiple domains, which was one of my gripes.

What i’d still like is just a way to store secrets without domains and user ids, the ability to store certificates (maybe it’s in there and only shows up on mac? i haven’t tried) so that i don’t need to use the keychain app, and the ability to attach documents to entries and have them be protected. Other than that, it’s way easier to use than it was when it was hidden in settings.

What I'd like to do is create a Pages text document containing whatever, and then set a password, which I can do now manually (File -> Set password...).

But seems that's not something the current password manager handles transparently/automatically. In other words, having an option within the Pages app to have the Password app create a secure random sequence of characters password.

Am I missing something? If not, it would be great to have the new Passwords app handle that automatically.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree -- this change is really nice!

Currently I used a workaround that has been pretty decent, though. For passwords that don't have an associated website, I make up a website name using a domain name I own. For instance, "wifi.DomainName.com"

Not the most elegant solution, but it does the job for now.
Welcome to the boards!

I’ve used a similar trick, but it’s a pain. It would be great if you could associate an entry with a particular app (even where the app doesn’t register a coordinating domain), so each time I load, say, the directv app, and it asks me for a password, at least press-and-hold would know to suggest the right entry.

japanime

Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely a pain. Can't wait to be able to do it the normal way once the proper app is released.

And thanks for the welcome! After finally deciding that posting on MacRumors has started to feel like walking through a mine field, I was pleasantly surprised to find these forums and many of the same users I remembered -- and respected -- from better days on that site. :)

Top Bottom
1 2