Vertical DVD/Blu-ray player recommendations

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have a narrow platform under my TV, which given my setup cannot be extended (ie I cannot make it bigger or wider). I could fit a vertical or wall mounted player, but all DVD and Blu ray players I’ve been able to find so far would not do well in that orientation, they don’t have slots but trays. The one exception is a gaming console but that seems overkill (as far as I know the external PS 5 disc drive still needs to pair with a PS5). My local stores had very little even before and these days have any less.

Any recommendations for a slot-player or player you think would work vertically/wall mounted that can play both DVDs and Blu Rays that I missed?

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Does it need to play 4k Blu-rays? If not, Sony still sells the PS4.

Otherwise, your best bet might be to email the various manufacturers and ask if they have anything.

There are Blu-ray burners that are designed to be mounted vertically, and that can play 4k Blu-rays, but I think these only work when attached to a computer, rather than a TV, e.g.:
Amazon product

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Might be worth trying a tray-based DVD player in a vertical orientation, which I think I've done with other optical media drives connected to computers. IIRC, you just have to keep a finger on the disc as it loads and remove it before the door closes. That way, you can tell if playback is adversely affected.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

Does it need to play 4k Blu-rays? If not, Sony still sells the PS4.
Aye getting a PS4 or used PS5 if I can find one is probably my best bet.

Otherwise, your best bet might be to email the various manufacturers and ask if they have anything.

There are Blu-ray burners that are designed to be mounted vertically, and that can play 4k Blu-rays, but I think these only work when attached to a computer, rather than a TV, e.g.:
Amazon product

Yeah when I first saw player-burners like that one on Amazon I was very excited, but then my heart sank when I realized it would need a computer and that point I though I might as well get a console as a NUC. I dunno.

Might be worth trying a tray-based DVD player in a vertical orientation, which I think I've done with other optical media drives connected to computers. IIRC, you just have to keep a finger on the disc as it loads and remove it before the door closes. That way, you can tell if playback is adversely affected.
Maybe. Trouble is I've got 4 year old twins with the energy of twin tornados. I'd prefer something idiot proof ... to be clear where I mean that idiot is me because if I'm going to be using this at all it is likely distracted while they're up and exhausted once they're down. Gingerly putting a DVD into a tray and making sure I don't drop it never mind that it is seated properly just doesn't appeal. Then again, it would be cheap to test as I already have the player. I'm just not sold as a long term proposition.

Probably won't make a decision soon. Mostly due to how indecisive I am. :)

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

Aye getting a PS4 or used PS5 if I can find one is probably my best bet.

Yeah when I first saw player-burners like that one on Amazon I was very excited, but then my heart sank when I realized it would need a computer and that point I though I might as well get a console as a NUC. I dunno.

Maybe. Trouble is I've got 4 year old twins with the energy of twin tornados. I'd prefer something idiot proof ... to be clear where I mean that idiot is me because if I'm going to be using this at all it is likely distracted while they're up and exhausted once they're down. Gingerly putting a DVD into a tray and making sure I don't drop it never mind that it is seated properly just doesn't appeal. Then again, it would be cheap to test as I already have the player. I'm just not sold as a long term proposition.

Another thing to keep in mind is that decent TV Blu-ray players should be designed for relatively quiet operation, and that might not be the case for computer Blu-ray burners.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

Gotcha. I guess you could wait until they're too old to be interested in playing DVDs. :)

Top Bottom
1 2