What does Apple need to do to catch Nvidia?

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
I got banned twice because of sunny-boy :D or what is michy-kun? I forget. They are like in unholy duality for me. Great training for my anger management issues though.
I tapped out of that place a while back. Troll central.

But I guess the trolls generate clicks, which generates ad revenue…. MR runs on its own social media algorithm these days. ;)

I got a warning because I mentioned that we should not speak in absolute definitive terms when saying 4090 is ‘best‘ for blender and all 3d workflows - I highlighted that whilst somewhat nuanced/niche that if your workflow requires greater memory for your scene than what a 4090 provides at 24GB Ram… then your only consumer options are nVidia rtx 5000 workstation class cards at $7-$8k+ dollars each or an m1 Ultra with 128GB of unified ram.
I was reported for being condescending - to this day I’m genuinely surprised that that feedback landed in that way!

I felt it best not to argue though and just move on - if this is how the place is modded, I’m outta there.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I got banned twice because of sunny-boy :D or what is michy-kun? I forget. They are like in unholy duality for me. Great training for my anger management issues though.

A small point, I'm replying here because I don't want to interact with bombardier10 but avkills ran Cinebench GPU and found like with Blender, the M3 Max was "only" 3-fold behind.

M3 Max is at 12,676 on Cinebench. So about 3x slower with the entire system below the wattage that only the 4090 by itself would generate. Not so bad considering that is a laptop.

Here you thought Cinebench GPU might not be well optimized for AS, but it seems to be okay (at least similar enough to Blender).

- Cinebench GPU renderer does not seems to be particularly well optimized for Apple GPUs, e.g. in Blender 4.1 the difference between M3 Max and 4090 is "only" 3x in Nvidia's favor. Which is a fairly impressive result for Apple IMO since we are comparing a 50-60 watt GPU with nominal 13 TFLOPs to a 450W behemoth with 82 TFLOPs.

Top Bottom
1 2