What other sites do you visit?

gollum

Power User
Reaction score
No offense to the admins of this site, but what other sites do you frequent?

I used to participate in iMore and MacRumors but I found some things a bit off-putting. Partly some of the people and partly the moderation. Like here, I lurked and continue to lurk at AppleInsider and I find the forums at Ars Technica to be helpful and entertaining. I haven't used the apple discussion forums, the focus appears to be tech support which is strictly enforced

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I used to hang out on photo.net a long time ago, when it was interesting and before it was acquired by another company. There were some good discussions on the different forums. And good photographers. Sadly, it pretty much just died after the acquisition.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
No offense to the admins of this site, but what other sites do you frequent?

I used to participate in iMore and MacRumors but I found some things a bit off-putting. Partly some of the people and partly the moderation. Like here, I lurked and continue to lurk at AppleInsider and I find the forums at Ars Technica to be helpful and entertaining. I haven't used the apple discussion forums, the focus appears to be tech support which is strictly enforced

Don’t even get me started on iMore (I was a mod there, and one of the original content writers for SME). Came here from MacRumors, where the mods were crazy. Now I check MR in the morning for news and come here for conversation.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Don’t even get me started on iMore (I was a mod there, and one of the original content writers for SME). Came here from MacRumors, where the mods were crazy. Now I check MR in the morning for news and come here for conversation.
I still frequent MR, it's more tame there since they closed their political section. I still check out the news as well as the photography section, which is always booming over there.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I guess there's sort of two answers - at least for me:

I have a number of sites a frequently visit, and while many of them have some sort of discussion forums, I rarely, and in some cases, never, participate. So I just consume the content, in a read only mode, mostly the articles, and if it's something where I feel the comments in the discussion area have some value, I'll read them as well.

Then there are a few sites where I do actively engage in the discussion area, but outside of this forum, there's not really any other "general convo / hangout" type, they're all pretty specific to some specific subject matter (a vehicle I own for example).

I also bail on car specific sites when I no longer own / or have interest in, the <whatever>, I guess some people get really engaged on a personal level (see MR ...) and stay in the community equivalent area, even after they no longer have interest in the "site topic". Like I had a DD and a Mustang, don't anymore, and I don't go back to those sites (well, I've hit the Mustang site a couple of times in the last year, read-only, to check out the word on a new hybrid model ...), now I'm on Tesla and Jeep sites :)

And I realize that totally did not answer the question :D

Top Bottom
1 2