RIP Willie Mays

Roller

Elite Member
Mays passed away at 93. Born near Birmingham, he was truly one of the all time greatest baseball players. Sadly, he won’t get to watch the Giants play the Cardinals at Birmingham’s Rickwood Field this Thursday night. The ceremonial first pitch will be thrown by 99 year old Bill Greason, a veteran of the Negro Leagues.

he was truly one of the all time greatest baseball players.

Not one of, THE greatest.

Was lucky enough to see him play (on TV) when I was a kid. And even though he was at the end of his career, he was still great. I think if he had been able to play those two years instead of going to Korea, he would have been the all time HR leader. At least until Aaron passed him. But that would have been a great battle to watch.

Not one of, THE greatest.

Was lucky enough to see him play (on TV) when I was a kid. And even though he was at the end of his career, he was still great. I think if he had been able to play those two years instead of going to Korea, he would have been the all time HR leader. At least until Aaron passed him. But that would have been a great battle to watch.
I won't argue with your characterization of Mays as the greatest, though it's always tough to compare stats and accomplishments across decades. I never saw him play in person — like you, I was only able to watch him on TV. But it was clear he brought an infectious enthusiasm for the game that is often lacking these days. In fact, I think that applies to many professional sports, which have mostly become businesses where players are commodities.

A contractor friend of mine did some tile work at Mays' home down the SF peninsula. When he finished, Mays gave him a check. And then handed him a SF Giants jersey as a nice gesture.

A few seconds later Mays realized that was one he played in before and said (paraphrased) "Hold on a couple minutes, let me get you a new one." Without missing a beat my friend replied "No problem, this one is just fine." :)

I won't argue with your characterization of Mays as the greatest, though it's always tough to compare stats and accomplishments across decades.

It is. But I think he would have been great no matter when he played and I don't think that about Ruth.

My Mount Rushmore:

Willie Mays
Bob Gibson
Ted Williams
Ricky Henderson (some would call this a stretch, but when you force a team to game plan around you, then you are great)

First major-league home run I ever witnessed in person came off the bat of the Say Hey Kid. It was a game in 1971 at Candlestick Park. I was 6 years old. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. Mays hit it out, and all of the much-taller fans around me stood up to cheer. I couldn't see him round the bases!

First major-league home run I ever witnessed in person came off the bat of the Say Hey Kid. It was a game in 1971 at Candlestick Park. I was 6 years old. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. Mays hit it out, and all of the much-taller fans around me stood up to cheer. I couldn't see him round the bases!
Nice! I used to go to Giants games at Candlestick Park in the 70s, too. (y)

Don't forget the Rickwood game is on today at 7:15 EDT on Fox.

Giants and Cardinals playing at an historic field.

I think that MLB and the NHL have done the best with these one-off games. For the NHL, I love the outdoor games, and MLB with this one and the Field of Dreams games, are special. No one cares if the NFL plays a game in London.

Don't forget the Rickwood game is on today at 7:15 EDT on Fox.

Giants and Cardinals playing at an historic field.

I think that MLB and the NHL have done the best with these one-off games. For the NHL, I love the outdoor games, and MLB with this one and the Field of Dreams games, are special. No one cares if the NFL plays a game in London.
Yeah, watching it now. I loved seeing the Negro Leagues players and the tribute to Willie Mays. Just saw the interview with Bill Greason. So humble and articulate. It was also cool to hear how Rickwood Field was renovated for this game.

Back