“Meta”

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Good luck with that, Zuck.
Indeed.

But, fascinating, nevertheless.

Something tells me that the discarded name may have become a little too memorably toxic in the public eye and the public memory - not to mention some political establishments - for words.

In Hebrew, “meta” means “dead.”

So there’s that.
And if that turns out to be true, I will wipe a tear from my eye, and suppress an unseemly snigger.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
From what I'm reading, it'll be the company name. Facebook, Instagram and all the other social media shitshows will continue to operate under their own names.

Sounds pretty much like when Google created Alphabet.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
From what I'm reading, it'll be the company name. Facebook, Instagram and all the other social media shitshows will continue to operate under their own names.

Sounds pretty much like when Google created Alphabet.
Yes but they are renaming the oculus products “meta”

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I should buy meat.com for those who commit spellign erorrs.

I had a couple of domains I sold way back in the day, no idea about current value, but in early 2000, $5K-10K for some, "who knows" domains was pretty sweet :D

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
In Hebrew, “meta” means “dead.”

So there’s that.
I recall that the highest paid writer in the word got something like a million dollars (back in the early '70s, that was pretty good money) for writing one word. The word was "Exxon" – he was hired to come up with a name that meant nothing in any language. Well, except for digital signaling, so I guess he sort of failed at his job.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
This was a good read. Zuck is a monster

Changing their name isn't going to erase all of the negative views of Facebook that are really coming out strong now. Please just let Facebook die.

Top Bottom
1 2