3rd party app stores on the iPhone

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Let's not forget that the term "side loading" gives off an overly scary impression.

"Sideloading" = "Installing Apps that Apple isn't dictating all policy about, or forcing their way into getting a financial cut of"

90%+ of the Apps on my Mac are "side loaded" and things are just fine.

Same here... Adobe, Omni Group, Zengobi/Curio, MathWorks, etc.

I think what's at issue is the sophistication level of the user and ability to suss out potentially questionable mobile apps. Most here on this site are sophisticated enough in making a well-considered assessment. Apple's customer base in general? Not so sure about that.

turbineseaplane

Power User
Reaction score
Same here... Adobe, Omni Group, Zengobi/Curio, MathWorks, etc.

I think what's at issue is the sophistication level of the user and ability to sussing out potentially questionable mobile apps. Most here on this site are sophisticated enough in making a well-considered assessment. Apple's general customer base in general? Not so sure about that.

I guess?
But what percentage of their base also uses Windows or a Mac?

A lot (most?) of their users, I would suspect, interact with some form of normal computer, if not also own one at home

They seem to be navigating multiple app stores and installing apps from many sources mostly ... fine?

I just think a lot of people are running with Apple talking points on this.
They've spread a ton of FUD here -- all in service of their own financial interests.

That's all this is about. It really isn't about "safety" -- that's somewhat of a byproduct.

I guarantee you if Apple could be making more money by offering more choice, they would -- and suddenly everyone would defend that choice and applaud Apple for being champions of consumer interests

Top Bottom
1 2