Admired photographers and their work

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
It's a very messy story. After Maier died (without a will or close relatives), her storage locker where she kept many thousands of prints, negatives, and undeveloped rolls of film was sold at auction for very little money - $400 comes to mind. Some prints were made and sold in galleries. While the purchaser of the contents of her storage locker owned the physical contents (prints, negatives, rolls of film), the right to make prints belonged to any heirs (yet to be discovered) via copyright law. It gets pretty convoluted after that. So much so a movie was made awhile back - you might enjoy watching it.

Here's a quick summary.

"Well, not living in a city would make that difficult,"

I think a portfolio of small town candid photography could very interesting! Something to think about should you get a Rollei. :)
Thank you for the link to that article. I hadn't read any of that in my prior googling.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
There was a private settlement in 2019, so her works are now able to be printed.

Jumpthesnark

Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
mike_disfarmer_009.jpg

Are there any Mike Disfarmer fans here? He's another photographer that died with loads of negatives and prints, and no apparent heirs. And yeah, there was a ton of controversy. Disfarmer had a small portrait studio in Heber Springs, Arkansas and made portraits of locals for a living. He had a unique style, very terse and in your face solemn. He passed away in the late 1950s with no will or known relatives. Years later his work was discovered and gallerists swooped in looking for family portraits to purchase for a couple bucks and resell for much more as art. But, like Vivian Maier's tale, ownership of his work became complicated with lawyers getting involved.

Disfarmer??? Huh, what kind of last name is that? His family name was Meyer, and was the son of German American parents who were farmers. Later in life he legally changed his name in protest to Disfarmer, apparently a dig at Meyer, which apparently has roots in Germany of a person being a farmer or landowner.

Here's a link to a good New Yorker story about Disfarmer:

Last edited:

Spike

Writer, photographer
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
View attachment 15264

Are there any Mike Disfarmer fans here? He's another photographer that died with loads of negatives and prints, and no apparent heirs. And yeah, there was a ton of controversy. Disfarmer had a small portrait studio in Heber Springs, Arkansas and made portraits of locals for a living. He had a unique style, very terse and in your face solemn. He passed away in the late 1950s with no will or known relatives. Years later his work was discovered and gallerists swooped in looking for family portraits to purchase for a couple bucks and resell for much more as art. But, like Vivian Maier's tale, ownership of his work became complicated with lawyers getting involved.

Disfarmer??? Huh, what kind of last name is that? His family name was Meyer, and was the son of German American parents who were farmers. Later in life he legally changed his name in protest to Disfarmer, apparently a dig at Meyer, which apparently has roots in Germany of a person being a farmer or landowner.

Here's a link to a good New Yorker story about Disfarmer:
Me. But you already knew that.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Fred Lyon passed away, it's a sad day for me. I'll just say that no photographer has ever been a bigger influence on me, even with the latest and greatest gear I find myself in awe of photos he took 60+ years ago, through his photos he's taught me so much about composition and compelling angles. He will be missed but his work will always live on.

For anyone not familiar I would encourage you to check out some of his wonderful work.

Top Bottom
1 2