Amazon's SideWalk will share your internet with your neighbors without your consent by default

U

User.45

Amazon is making this bold move and opting you in automatically.

How to opt-out and disable Amazon Sidewalk​

From Bleepingcomputer
If you do not want your devices to be part of Amazon Sidewalk, you can disable the service at any time.

For Amazon Echo devices, you can disable Amazon Sidewalk by following these steps:
  1. Open your Amazon Alexa App.
  2. Select the More option in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen.
  3. Go to Settings > Account Settings > Amazon Sidewalk.
  4. Set the Amazon Sidewalk toggle to disabled.
  5. Close the Amazon Alexa app.
For Ring devices, you can disable Amazon Sidewalk by following these steps:
  1. Open the Ring app.
  2. Tap the three-lined icon to open the menu and go to Control Center > Amazon Sidewalk.
  3. Set the Amazon Sidewalk toggle to disabled.
  4. Close the app.
Once you disable Amazon Sidewalk, Amazon will not enable it again without your permission.
Comcast does this too... I bought my own non-wifi modem so I won't have to think about fixing this.

Also, I have an echo dot that I've always hidden in a secluded corner of the kitchen so you either have to yell or be in the kitchen for it to pick up commands. Now the open layout of our new home seems to be so efficient I could call Alexa from the other end of the home...I guess I'll have to either block the mics to reduce the listening range, or finally get rid of it...

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Comcast does this too... I bought my own non-wifi modem so I won't have to think about fixing this.

Also, I have an echo dot that I've always hidden in a secluded corner of the kitchen so you either have to yell or be in the kitchen for it to pick up commands. Now the open layout of our new home seems to be so efficient I could call Alexa from the other end of the home...I guess I'll have to either block the mics to reduce the listening range, or finally get rid of it...
I help some people in the neighborhood with simple IT things when they need it. I turned off the wireless on their Comcast modem completely since they already had a Wi-Fi router. Apparently, the device can receive firmware updates, and if the device gets rebooted, it turns at least its shared wi-fi network back on.

U

User.45

I help some people in the neighborhood with simple IT things when they need it. I turned off the wireless on their Comcast modem completely since they already had a Wi-Fi router. Apparently, the device can receive firmware updates, and if the device gets rebooted, it turns at least its shared wi-fi network back on.
Absolutely fuck Comcast, LOL. This is why I made sure my modem has no Wifi.

Top Bottom
1 2