rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not a subscriber as well, but with the current hype cycle on AI. The shift makes sense.
A lot of those car folks probably were not software folks, and I assume they are moving on.

I think they must have decided that self-driving is nowhere close to happening, that the new carplay features rolling out that further integrate CarPlay into car systems will bring a lot of the features apple’s car would have added anyway, and they got tired of dumping money into it.

It’s a shame - I would have loved a car with applecare+ :)

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Probably for the best if so - it did seem to be stuck in development hell.

Not a subscriber as well, but with the current hype cycle on AI. The shift makes sense.

TBH AI was an integral part of this project, but I think there’s been a general admission that FSD is further away than originally thought no matter how many times Musk promises it’s just around the corner.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Probably for the best if so - it did seem to be stuck in development hell.

TBH AI was an integral part of this project, but I think there’s been a general admission that FSD is further away than originally thought no matter how many times Musk promises it’s just around the corner.
That is probably why FSD is not as far along as it should be. AI is still on the upward trend of the hype cycle, and until it goes through a few more iterations I wouldn't trust it.

Not being tinfoil hat paranoid, more of a skeptic on AI. AI is like a toddler with superpowers.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised Apple took so long - and wasted so much money - before killing it off. I never thought it was a great fit for the company. Maybe the sunk costs fallacy kept it going. I'm also surprised none of the headlines say "Apple slams the brakes on electric car project."

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not to mention you need a bunch of capabilities working in tandem. Some of it you can maybe bridge using fixed algorithms, but FSD is one of those things where you can make a good demo loooong before it can handle all the edge cases.

AI is like a toddler with superpowers.

A toddler that can produce college-level essays on topics, but not necessarily be able to reason about the essay it just produced.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Going to go off on a mini tangent here. I blame this whole little side venture on shareholder centric hyper capitalism. Growth! Growth! GROWTH!! Milking more growth out of your current product line declining? Get cracking on something else, NOW! Consistent or even slight momentary decline in sales is not GROWTH!!!

ArgoDuck

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon
I had speculated their car project was to be something out of left-field, an AR-type hybrid of human and AI rather than FSD. Their announcement of Vision Pro last year made that hybridization seem a fraction more likely to me.

As i say, pure speculation. Now we’ll never know, probably. Disappointing if it was ‘just another FSD car project’!

And so now we’re to have ‘just another GPT/LLM’ instead?

Top Bottom
1 2