Apple Cancels Micro-LED Project?

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I already wrote about it here. But then I thought maybe it deserves its own thread particularly in light of the Car project being canceled. Then again maybe the comms project, Apple WiFi/Cellular, will also get canned and we should merge all the canceled projects threads into one mega thread?

Anyway I had hopes for the display project but it kept getting delayed with rumors of problems. Also have hopes for the comms project but I have to admit that one doesn’t look too good either.

However, not everyone agrees that project is dead:

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
This doesn’t mean that microLED is entirely of the table yet though, right? Some tech needs a while to mature. I’d love to see microLED sooner rather than later but the adoption cost is a concern. Apple devices are already expensive.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
This doesn’t mean that microLED is entirely of the table yet though, right? Some tech needs a while to mature. I’d love to see microLED sooner rather than later but the adoption cost is a concern. Apple devices are already expensive.
It depends on which version of events you believe:

A) that this was just a cancellation of work with an individual possible supplier of micro-LED

OR

B) that this was THE supplier Apple was to rely on and Apple not only cancelled their contract with them but also disbanded their own teams working on micro-LED technology

While micro-LED technology may yet come to fruition, obviously B is much worse and signals that it will be very far away.

So far, we have suggestions of both.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Macrumors is now backtracking despite Kuo stating his belief that the project is cancelled. However the source is digitimes, so …

(In fairness backed by other sources saying the same thing like Trendforce and Gurman)

Top Bottom
1 2