Apple can take over the WoA laptops by offering Boot camp.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
Think about it if Apple offered native WoA on MacBooks with ARM, why would anyone get a WoA notebook in the future??

You get access to three native OS. Apple should do it and with Gurman saying MacBooks will get touchscreens that also bring over the windows touchscreen crowd.

Apple by adding a few GPU drivers and supporting WoA can kill the WoA laptops market.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Think about it if Apple offered native WoA on MacBooks with ARM, why would anyone get a WoA notebook in the future??

You get access to three native OS. Apple should do it and with Gurman saying MacBooks will get touchscreens that also bring over the windows touchscreen crowd.

Apple by adding a few GPU drivers and supporting WoA can kill the WoA laptops market.
The market for WOA is a tiny fraction of the windows market. Bootcamp x86 was only used by a percent or two of mac users even though windows dominated the OS market share;. Why would apple chase such a tiny number of users?

NT1440

Power User
Reaction score
If it magically covered the x86 use case for Bootcamp, sure, but from my understanding WoA itself doesn’t run x86 software right?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
If it magically covered the x86 use case for Bootcamp, sure, but from my understanding WoA itself doesn’t run x86 software right?
I think it does, actually. They have their own rough equivalent to Rosetta.

But it’s still chasing a very tiny market.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The overall non-Apple market for ARM-powered computers is pretty small right now. WoA is not much, and some Chromebooks amount to the broadest reach for LoA. This is because Apple is about 5 Pm (half a lightyear) ahead of everyone else in performance, largely because there are no manufacturers putting more than 1 or 2 X3s in their SoCs. The structure of the marketplace needs to change drastically before ARM will be seen as serious competition for xLake/Zen.

KingOfPain

Site Champ
Reaction score
I can confirm what Cliff said:
Windows 11 on ARM has dynamic translation for both x86 and x86-64 code.
I'm not totally sure how good the compatibility is, but IIRC everything threw at it ran (apart from NOLF, where I don't know what the exact issue is).

KingOfPain

Site Champ
Reaction score
Compared to CrossOver.
Although I don't know if there is any comparison necessary. If it runs, it runs.
But I have to admit that most of the software that I ran is somewhat old. I'm not sure what happens if you run software that absolutely requires AVX-512, e.g.

Top Bottom
1 2