Apple Cash - now Visa

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you have had Apple Cash set up in your iphone or Apple device’s wallet, it’s been treated as a Discover debit card. If you turn it off in your wallet settings and then turn it back on, it will get a new account number and now it’s a Visa debit card. You have to do this on each device, otherwise some devices will have Discover and others Visa.

The advantage of Visa is that it is accepted at more places, so if you want to pay with your Apple Cash balance you have a higher likelihood that it will work.

Looks like this is a very recent change - showed up for me just now when I realized I never set up Apple Cash on the iPad Pro I got last week, and now it has a big Visa logo on it in the Wallet app.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's good to know. I actually have an Apple Cash balance I keep forgetting about.

Me too :). I was just trying to buy something on Goldbelly.com using Apple Pay, and I suddenly remembered I had a balance, but the card wasn’t showing up on my iPad, which got me to this rabbit hole.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you have had Apple Cash set up in your iphone or Apple device’s wallet, it’s been treated as a Discover debit card. If you turn it off in your wallet settings and then turn it back on, it will get a new account number and now it’s a Visa debit card. You have to do this on each device, otherwise some devices will have Discover and others Visa.

The advantage of Visa is that it is accepted at more places, so if you want to pay with your Apple Cash balance you have a higher likelihood that it will work.

Looks like this is a very recent change - showed up for me just now when I realized I never set up Apple Cash on the iPad Pro I got last week, and now it has a big Visa logo on it in the Wallet app.
I only did this on one device and it showed up as Visa on all of my devices.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Done on my iPad since I’m sitting here with it. Easy peasy. Will check my phone and MB when I go in.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get a Visa because I've tried to use my Apple Cash at a few places and they didn't take discover so it didn't work (early days).

Will try this now, thank you.

Edit: Worked. Took a good 40 seconds to activate the cash again but now it's a Visa Debit. Apple Watch shows it now too.
Edit2: Corrected Apple Card to Apple Cash

Last edited:

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get a Visa because I've tried to use my Apple Card at a few places and they didn't take discover so it didn't work (early days).

Will try this now, thank you.

Edit: Worked. Took a good 40 seconds to activate the cash again but now it's a Visa Debit. Apple Watch shows it now too.
The Apple Card is Mastercard

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Apple Card is Mastercard
Yep. Though an interesting feature of the way apple card works is that they could change that someday and it would be transparent to all of us (essentially).

My wife recently had her bank credit card hacked just before she had to travel, and she didn’t receive the replacement before she got on a plane. Apple Card saves the day. :)

Top Bottom
1 2