Apple-designed 5G modems coming soon

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

To be clear, it looks like this involves things like FBARs, which are specialized components used for creating signals at a given frequency. Broadcom was bought a few years back by Avago, which makes those things (I was briefly and humorously involved in a case involving someone who stole an Avago fbar design, and helped prove it).

I don;t think Broadcom has anything to do with the baseband chip itself.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
It looks like acquiring Intel's modem business is paying off. If that is the case, it sounds like the problem was with Intel's management, not the engineers. Regardless, good to see some manufacturing inside of the U.S. and not another shady contractor in China. It also appears to be more than the PR dog and pony show of assembling a few dozen Mac Pros in Texas.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I don;t think Broadcom has anything to do with the baseband chip itself.
You ninja'd your original post while I was typing. I assume these are support parts for the modem? Or is this nothing actually noteworthy?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You ninja'd your original post while I was typing. I assume these are support parts for the modem? Or is this nothing actually noteworthy?
They are parts you need to surround the modem.

It’s actually not entirely clear what is going on here, but it does indicate to me that this is likely for apple’s own modem.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Apple has been registering a huge amount of patents related to wireless modem functionality in the last months. They are certainly busy.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
They are parts you need to surround the modem.

It’s actually not entirely clear what is going on here, but it does indicate to me that this is likely for apple’s own modem.

I'm guessing they (FBARs) are used as a duplexer, allowing a cellphone receiver and transmitter to simultaneously use a single antenna, while providing high RF isolation between the receiver port and transmitter port (so the transmitter will not overload the receiver). It's an analog part, similar to a SAW filter.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I see that FBAR stands for thin-Film Bulk Acoustic Resonator. Good thing it's not thin-Film Ultra Bulk Acoustic Resonator.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
Apparently worth at least $1 billion to Broadcom and all of it in the US.

Edit: Reports are saying a multi-billion deal over 5 years.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm guessing they (FBARs) are used as a duplexer, allowing a cellphone receiver and transmitter to simultaneously use a single antenna, while providing high RF isolation between the receiver port and transmitter port (so the transmitter will not overload the receiver). It's an analog part, similar to a SAW filter.
Yep. They are BAWs, not SAWs, but same idea. Existing iphones all have them as well, and I thought they were already supplied by Broadcom (potentially via Qualcomm), so that’s why I’m still a little uncertain about what, exactly, the announcement means.

Top Bottom
1 2