Apple holds a gaming focused event for the press.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
As the title says, Apple held an event recently focused on gaming. With regards to the Mac, The Medium was mentioned. I'm not familiar with it, and it seems like it's had mixed reviews. I hope for more details to come out, but it seems a little anaemic tbh.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's notable that, despite Apple still supporting Metal 3 on some Intel Macs, the most recent game announcements have been exclusively for Apple Silicon. This is another signal about their intentions concerning x86 support.

Personally, as someone who enjoys horror games, with this being the second such title exclusively for Apple Silicon, my 2018 Mac mini with eGPU is slowly looking less useful. I am a patient man, I don't mind waiting, but it's increasingly more difficult to hold off, still using yesteryear's technology.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's notable that, despite Apple still supporting Metal 3 on some Intel Macs, the most recent game announcements have been exclusively for Apple Silicon. This is another signal about their intentions concerning x86 support.

Personally, as someone who enjoys horror games, with this being the second such title exclusively for Apple Silicon, my 2018 Mac mini with eGPU is slowly looking less useful. I am a patient man, I don't mind waiting, but it's increasingly more difficult to hold off, still using yesteryear's technology.
The M2 Mac mini is calling your name.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
The M2 Mac mini is calling your name.
I'm trying to hold off, because I think the M3 Pro Mac mini is calling my name. I expect that chip to be a more substantial upgrade over the M2 generation.

I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd, but my Intel Mac is quickly approaching the "broke" phase of its existence. I've still got a few game titles, which work perfectly fine with my current Mac mini to finish off, but eventually those will run dry.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm trying to hold off, because I think the M3 Pro Mac mini is calling my name. I expect that chip to be a more substantial upgrade over the M2 generation.

I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd, but my Intel Mac is quickly approaching the "broke" phase of its existence. I've still got a few game titles, which work perfectly fine with my current Mac mini to finish off, but eventually those will run dry.
Not a gamer, but I'm in the same waiting boat as you. Upgrading my 128 GB RAM/2 TB SSD iMac to AS would be a pricey proposition, especially since I'd also need to replace its display with an external Retina monitor. And the M2 doesn't offer a striking enough improvement across all my workflows (especially Mathematica, where the improvement is only 10%) to justify the $. Perhaps M3 will be the ticket, especially if Apple ups the clocks on the M3 desktops, and also offers 128 GB LPDDR5x with the M3 Max chip, obviating the requirement to upgrade to the Ultra (which has more cores than I need) to get that much RAM.

OTOH, perhaps if we wait long enough our Intel Macs will turn into actual zombies (being computers, would they eat CPUs instead of brains?), which would be *much* more entertaining than some game.

Top Bottom
1 2