Apple sets film festival purchase record while proving they still don’t get it.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple outbid Amazon and Netflix purchasing the rights to the film CODA for $25 million, a film festival record. The movie tells the story of a girl who is the only one in her family who isn’t deaf. She has to balance the world of her family and that of the hearing world and her love of music. Regardless of how good the movie may be, absolutely nobody is going to flock to an Apple TV subscription to see it. At this rate Apple might get a clue about what the public will pay to see in about a decade, or roughly 5 years after they kill the service.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Apple outbid Amazon and Netflix purchasing the rights to the film CODA for $25 million, a film festival record. The movie tells the story of a girl who is the only one in her family who isn’t deaf. She has to balance the world of her family and that of the hearing world and her love of music. Regardless of how good the movie may be, absolutely nobody is going to flock to an Apple TV subscription to see it. At this rate Apple might get a clue about what the public will pay to see in about a decade, or roughly 5 years after they kill the service.
Often times for festival darlings, it isn't for views. It's in the hopes it becomes an awards magnet. If the movie is exclusively on Apple TV & it draws a lot of awards, the prestige is passed onto Apple TV. It's trying to replicate the Netflix formula when it became a challenger to Hollywood in winning awards for it's programming.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Often times for festival darlings, it isn't for views. It's in the hopes it becomes an awards magnet. If the movie is exclusively on Apple TV & it draws a lot of awards, the prestige is passed onto Apple TV. It's trying to replicate the Netflix formula when it became a challenger to Hollywood in winning awards for it's programming.

Meh. I think that strategy is up there with thinking everybody wants a U2 album automatically downloaded to their iPhone long after the band’s prime and regardless of your taste. Over at least the last couple years the public has seen entertainment awards as a big joke, now made even more so with the wide polar swing to diversity quotas. I have no idea which streaming services have already received Oscars and Emmys already or for what, but at best Apple is only playing catchup with this strategy. At some point just receiving something all your piers already have makes it less prestigious.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Meh. I think that strategy is up there with thinking everybody wants a U2 album automatically downloaded to their iPhone long after the band’s prime and regardless of your taste.

Still not gonna let that one go, eh? It's been awhile.

Over at least the last couple years the public has seen entertainment awards as a big joke, now made even more so with the wide polar swing to diversity quotas.

Speak for yourself and I will here too: I will often want to know more about a film when seeing that it got a lot of notice or awards in festivals.

I have no idea which streaming services have already received Oscars and Emmys already or for what, but at best Apple is only playing catchup with this strategy. At some point just receiving something all your piers already have makes it less prestigious.

It's not about receiving the awards, it's about the draw of having had something worth receiving the awards. Makes people not on board yet realize maybe they are missing something.

The outfit I wonder about as far as entertainment ventures are concerned is Walmart. They seem to be dropping back to the idea of just sticking to their core retail business after mucking around with Vudu and some other talk about streaming services etc for like ten years. Apple's smart to get into the production end of things. Netflix could do with pruning some of its acquisitions side and stick with production too...

Top Bottom
1 2