Are you a screen-dependent YOLO FOMO CAT?

D

Deleted member 215

I just loved this wording from Tad Friend's New Yorker article about MasterClass:

"MasterClass's bespoke self-care embodies our time...it incarnates the screen-dependent YOLO FOMO of those the company calls CATS---the curious, aspiring, thirtysomethings who constitute a plurality of its audience".

When I read that, I was like "please don't let me turn into that". I'm a twentysomething, but I have some traits of this group. I've never watched a MasterClass course, but I do read nonfiction for the purpose of enriching my knowledge and I have listened to a few of the Great Courses. I'm not done with formal education, but there are subjects I know I will not be studying at the formal level that I would still like to know about. Maybe I am an "aspiring intellectual" or maybe I'm just a tryhard dilettante. Is that something to be looked down upon as pathetic? Sometimes I do feel relief in the fact that I haven't yet gone down the "self-help/wellness" rabbit hole that many people in developed countries have, but maybe all the reading I do is just another form of that. It's not yoga or meditation or therapy, but it's something I do to keep my brain alert and because I feel I get something meaningful out of it. For me, it's not about keeping up with the Joneses, but trying to stay ahead of the average Jones so I don't end up mediocre.

So...how "aspirational" are you? Do you have YOLO FOMO (you-only-live-once fear-of-missing-out)? Are you ever concerned about your life falling into mediocrity?

U

User.45

I just loved this wording from Tad Friend's New Yorker article about MasterClass:

"MasterClass's bespoke self-care embodies our time...it incarnates the screen-dependent YOLO FOMO of those the company calls CATS---the curious, aspiring, thirtysomethings who constitute a plurality of its audience".

When I read that, I was like "please don't let me turn into that". I'm a twentysomething, but I have some traits of this group. I've never watched a MasterClass course, but I do read nonfiction for the purpose of enriching my knowledge and I have listened to a few of the Great Courses. I'm not done with formal education, but there are subjects I know I will not be studying at the formal level that I would still like to know about. Maybe I am an "aspiring intellectual" or maybe I'm just a tryhard dilettante. Is that something to be looked down upon as pathetic? Sometimes I do feel relief in the fact that I haven't yet gone down the "self-help/wellness" rabbit hole that many people in developed countries have, but maybe all the reading I do is just another form of that. It's not yoga or meditation or therapy, but it's something I do to keep my brain alert and because I feel I get something meaningful out of it. For me, it's not about keeping up with the Joneses, but trying to stay ahead of the average Jones so I don't end up mediocre.

So...how "aspirational" are you? Do you have YOLO FOMO (you-only-live-once fear-of-missing-out)? Are you ever concerned about your life falling into mediocrity?
FOMO YOLO folks are FOS. When I moved to the States, the first thing I've learned is how hard people fake it to make it. Everybody try to appear better than what they are and they look down upon you when you don't care. Your life will be miserable if you believe the hype. One thing that helped me thru phases was bone hurting honesty to myself. Which prevented me from trying hard to learn what others pretend to like and willing to tell myself if an experience was shit, that it was shit.

Top Bottom
1 2