Attempted backdoor on ssh

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

Basically someone successfully inserted a backdoor into an upstream tarball for a library ssh relies on and thus compromising any server using Linux. It was discovered thanks to performance regressions and some valgrind errors on some systems.

1711751512924.png

Luckily xz 5.6.0 and 5.6.1 have not yet widely been integrated by linux
distributions, and where they have, mostly in pre-release versions.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

Small projects create big risks.
Sustainability is a security concern.

Last edited:

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
If you use homebrew or MacPorts you likely have the 5.6.1 version. For homebrew:
Code:
brew upgrade

It isn’t likely that your Mac is compromised but xz has been downgraded to 5.4.6 for both brew and MacPorts.

The back door specifically targeted x86-64, Debian, and systemd so it is unlikely that any macOS is targeted but downgrade anyway.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
If you use homebrew or MacPorts you likely have the 5.6.1 version. For homebrew:
Code:
brew upgrade

It isn’t likely that your Mac is compromised but xz has been downgraded to 5.4.6 for both brew and MacPorts.

The back door specifically targeted x86-64, Debian, and systemd so it is unlikely that any macOS is targeted but downgrade anyway.
Interestingly I had 5.4.5 🤔

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I definitely had 5.6.1 with Python3.8 and something else (I forget). You probably haven’t done a brew update in a while.

I also had 5.4.5.

It looks like 5.6.0 was released on Feb 24th, so it's been about 35 days that the exploit has been in the wild for people on bleeding edge. I'm a bit surprised how quickly Brew picked up the package, to be honest.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

Small projects create big risks.
Sustainability is a security concern.

More on this aspect of the attack:

It makes for some chilling reading where the attacker took advantage of a maintainer being behind and struggling with mental health issues and then “helpfully” offered the solution of taking over using the usual online gang up to effectively force the original person out.

As the article states, this is so prevalent in open source software that this behavior alone wouldn’t even register as an attack.

Last edited:

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
IIRC, the undocumented thing was the bolts which got left out when the door was reassembled. As in, if they were following good process, all the parts taken off the aircraft should have been labeled and stored such that at the end of the job, they could inventory stored parts and easily see "hey there's some bolts here which weren't ever reinstalled!" Or even just look at the paper trail.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
IIRC, the undocumented thing was the bolts which got left out when the door was reassembled. As in, if they were following good process, all the parts taken off the aircraft should have been labeled and stored such that at the end of the job, they could inventory stored parts and easily see "hey there's some bolts here which weren't ever reinstalled!" Or even just look at the paper trail.
Or even a checklist for the repair (which apparently they did a lot), which required someone to take responsibility and initial that each step was completed.

Top Bottom
1 2