Biden tested positive

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
He more than likely has Omicron, or the BA.5 variant (which, yes, we will all eventually get....or a descendent, depending on how quickly it continues to mutate) - so the symptoms will be considerably more mild than Gamma or Delta.

Word is the BA.5 variant is SO transmissible, you could have Omicron or another variant 2-3 weeks earlier (and fully vaxxed) and you'll still get it. Prior immunity doesn't seem to provide any protection (other than potentially lessening your symptoms).

So, yep, everyone will almost certainly get covid eventually.
Good points…

I learned a bit from this explaination of the latest variants, immunity, and reinfection by a virologist here:

(paywall removed)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Kamala Harris is just such a cringeworthy politician. I don’t know how she went from a coherent legitimate and prominent presidential contender to someone who comes off as speaking like she’s weirdly and nervously explaining something complex to a bunch of kindergarteners.
What are you even talking about? The only time we ever hear about Vice Presidents is when they do something silly, like Quayle not being ready to visit Latin America because he didn’t speak Latin.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I get that he's the president, but people getting covid nowadays isn't really newsworthy, IMO.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I get that he's the president, but people getting covid nowadays isn't really newsworthy, IMO.
Yeah, this doesn't get reported and it's because "they" were trying to hide Joe being incapacitated or some other nonsense.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Luckily Joe wasn't incapacitated, leading to President Kamala! ;)

Aides to Mr. Biden had expected that he would get infected eventually. When he did last week, officials used his mild symptoms as an example of how effective the vaccines are against serious illness and to make the case that more Americans should get initial shots and boosters.

Mr. Biden is double-vaccinated and double-boosted, officials said.

Officials also said that the availability of Paxlovid, an antiviral drug Mr. Biden received that lessens the severity of Covid-19, was another example of the progress the country had made in its fight against the virus.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Jeeze, is there ever a thread that doesn’t deteriorate into talking about Trump? “Biden has COVID” immediately turns into some inane argument about what healthcare treatment did or did not receive, which is as stupid as Trump’s claim in the first place. God help us if he ever steps foot into the White House again but obsessing over him isn’t going to make him go away.

Anyways, not a great situation for Biden given his age and underlying health conditions. Luckily he is vaccinated, likely has the presumably more mild BA.5 variant, and will be receiving the best healthcare possible. I would say my concern is less about survival and more about whether or not he will be fit to serve during the acute phase of the illness and perhaps for a period afterwards. COVID can take a lot out of seniors. So far he seems to be doing alright.

I hope for the best and can only pray nothing would incapacitate him both for his own well being and who his replacement would be. Kamala Harris is just such a cringeworthy politician. I don’t know how she went from a coherent legitimate and prominent presidential contender to someone who comes off as speaking like she’s weirdly and nervously explaining something complex to a bunch of kindergarteners.
Do you honestly believe that Harris herself changed in the manner you describe in two years? Vice Presidents are mostly chosen for their ability to stick to the script and not deviate publicly from their administration's policies or overshadow the President. As such, they operate under constraints to which some of us would never agree in our professional lives. We don't get to see how they would govern and conduct themselves as President until they get the chance.

Top Bottom
1 2