Breakfast/lunch/Dinner, what are you having?

oldBCguy

Site Champ
Reaction score
.. made chicken soup yesterday -- from stock to soup -- we needed something hot and comforting, and the soup sure helped.

unnamed-5.jpg

oldBCguy

Site Champ
Reaction score
That looks amazing, and I'm sure that it was absolutely delicious.

If you care to share the recipe, I shall peruse it with avid and greedy interest.
Thanks!! .. but no particular recipe -- made the stock with fresh chicken feet & carcesses, some veggies on hand, and spices (which included dry ginger & cayenne) -- for the soup, added more diced chicken meat and fresh veggies, plus, some cheese & potato perogies once the soup had cooked, and when they popped 'up', everything was piping hot and ready to serve.
Some more photos ...

unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Thanks!! .. but no particular recipe -- made the stock with fresh chicken feet & carcesses, some veggies on hand, and spices (which included dry ginger & cayenne) -- for the soup, added more diced chicken meat and fresh veggies, plus, some cheese & potato perogies once the soup had cooked, and when they popped 'up', everything was piping hot and ready to serve.
Some more photos ...

View attachment 20300View attachment 20301View attachment 20302
Serious salivation; that looks not just delicious, but positively mouth-watering.

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
How did you manage to harvest all those fingers without getting into legal trouble? Asking for a friend.
Don't they look tasty?

Some more photos ...

View attachment 20300View attachment 20301View attachment 20302
Mind you, I had never considered that chicken feet could be used in such a way; I must say that this is food for thought (and food for lunch and dinner) for the future.

Thank you.

oldBCguy

Site Champ
Reaction score
Thanks everyone ..... uncooked chicken feet are sold in many Asian markets here (and some Canadian Supermarkets as well), and of course, cooked and presented as a dim sum dish in all the Chinese restaurants. I would never attempt to cook the dim sum variety, but the uncooked feet are great when preparing stock. You clip off the toenails first!! And they literally dissolve away when first boiled, and then simmered for hours, adding so many nutrients and flavourful goodness to a chicken stock.
And 'yes', it took a while for me to first try eating chicken feet at a restaurant, and choose to buy and prepare them at home in soup. But have not looked back with any regret from those initial beginnings.
A last taste of the recent soup, for Christmas eve, along with garnishes to make it look more Christmas-like. :)
Cheers to all for safe, happy, and healthy holidays!!

unnamed-2.jpg

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Laughing at myself over an insistence on having leftover pan stuffing on the day after Christmas. Means I had to go to the trouble of making the stuffing yesterday when what else on my menu was a veggie stir fry!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Slow roasted pork belly: (Loosely based on a Gordon Ramsay recipe).

Score the skin of the pork belly in the classic diamond shape with a sharp knife, and rub salt - and brown demerara sugar - into the cracks.

In a roasting tin, heat some olive oil: Then, sauté some roughly chopped onion, some garlic (I used six fat cloves, roughly sliced), and some roughly sliced (and peeled) cooking apples (tart, sharp tasting apples).

Some star anise was added, as were caraway seeds, and some juniper berries, and the lot sautéed; add a little more olive oil, then, add the pork belly to the roasting tin, skin side down, to lightly colour it and seal it.

When that is done, turn it over, and add some white wine to the roasting tin; burn off the alcohol, and add some stock (I used chicken stock); I then added locally sourced (organic, natural) apple juice. Pour in sufficient liquid for it to reach the skin of the pork belly - you want the flesh bathed in those lovely cooking juices.

At this stage, the roasting tin goes into the oven, (180-190C 360-380F) which has been pre-heated, where it will spend two and a half hours; take it out every hour to check for liquid (and add some more apple juice if necessary; after nearly two hours, I also added honey to the beautifully crispy skin).

I served sautéed potatoes, a mix of standard potatoes and sweet potatoes, peeled and diced, (sautéed in olive oil) and thoroughly soaked and rinsed in water to remove some of the starch; they were sautéed along with finely chopped red onion, several finely diced fat cloves of garlic, and sprigs of rosemary and thyme.

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Letting simmer a simplified version of my traditional chili for New Year's Day. I'm sure it wouldn't meet standards of any Texan, since it's long on beans (and, garlic) but nary a trace of beef or pork. My only problem is that it's 50ºF outside and likely to be that warm tomorrow as well. I'll probably be more in the mood for a summer salad than a bowl of chili. No matter, I'll freeze it and be happy to have it when the ice hammer drops on us again partway through January. Plenty of winter left, I'm sure!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Letting simmer a simplified version of my traditional chili for New Year's Day. I'm sure it wouldn't meet standards of any Texan, since it's long on beans (and, garlic) but nary a trace of beef or pork. My only problem is that it's 50ºF outside and likely to be that warm tomorrow as well. I'll probably be more in the mood for a summer salad than a bowl of chili. No matter, I'll freeze it and be happy to have it when the ice hammer drops on us again partway through January. Plenty of winter left, I'm sure!
Chilli sounds an absolutely superb idea for this time of year.

This has given me food for thought (and, indeed, thoughts of food....).

lizkat

Reaction score
Lentil soup for me today, haven't made it in awhile and it's a really cold night... so I also made it quite spicy by generous use of some of Penzey's specialty blend "Bangkok" (ancho chili pepper, garlic, ginger, Tellicherry black pepper, galangal, crushed red pepper, lemon grass, cayenne red pepper, paprika, basil, and cilantro.) That stuff is meant for Thai cookery, but it also makes a pot of plain lentil soup pretty special in no time flat. I didn't add a thing else to it but a bit of salt since the Bangkok mix is salt-free.

Got the munchies while waiting for that, so raided the fridge and had a little plate of green and some kalamata olives and a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (with half of a toasted pita broken up to use with the cheese). Someone stop me before I decide to open a jar of artichoke hearts in the dead of winter. I have one such jar in the pantry but it's meant to be popped open with the return of salads made with fresh spring greens.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife has been visiting our son for a few weeks to assist with a family matters, mostly baby sitting, and I have been consuming the most basic of meals, corn dogs, Whataburger burgers, Pizza Rolls, cereal, eggs and bacon, 1 banana and peanut butter sandwich, and pastrami sandwiches. I do most of the cooking, and when I’m home alone, I have zero desire to fix anything fancy or involved.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve discovered that meat pies or pasties are not a thing in the US. I hadn’t realized that before. (Not even empanadas!) I made some for dinner last night and almost everyone I’ve shared the photo with asked “what’s a meat pie? Is it like a pot pie?” Ugh.

Mine, of course, are vegetarian. Grab and go. Ignore the messy ones. I got lazy with the dough.

4DD57904-9706-4CF0-9C27-68094A22CEC8.jpeg

lizkat

Reaction score
I’ve discovered that meat pies or pasties are not a thing in the US. I hadn’t realized that before. (Not even empanadas!) I made some for dinner last night and almost everyone I’ve shared the photo with asked “what’s a meat pie? Is it like a pot pie?” Ugh.

Mine, of course, are vegetarian. Grab and go. Ignore the messy ones. I got lazy with the dough.

View attachment 21659

Oh those look delicious! I still miss an empanadas place on Amsterdam Ave someplace a bit south of Columbia U... when I was feeling generous after one of my rare football pool wins at work, I'd substitute a large order of those in lieu of the more usual offering of bagels or donuts that one was expected to stick in the pantry at work. It was obligatory to bring SOMETHING so I figured to broaden some horizons along with our waistlines...

On my own menu for tonight, nothing so exciting but I'm looking forward to it anyway. Just a veggie stir fry but with a few extra ingredients added that I don't always have on hand in winter, snow peas and fresh mushrooms. We've no snow impeding grocery delivery at the moment, so I had that Instacart shopper really working over the produce aisle for me today.

On the back burner: a navy bean soup meant to stash in containers in the freezer for whenever winter manages to find its way back here.

Top Bottom
1 2