bug in apple podcast app?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I never used all my cellular data on xfinity its 20 gigs. I have even had to use the hotspot on my work computer when the internet was down for several days. podcasts mostly download on wifi but sometimes one comes in while I am listening while riding and I download and listen to it. but last month I got a warning I was close then went over in maybe 10 days. I didn't to know what was going on as the cellular plan data does not reset automatically. so when the 15th came around I reset it and today I got a notice. I checked and podcasts have used 12.9 gigs of data in 5 days. I only have maybe 15 podcasts and they are all audio. I had to turn off using cellular data for downloads for the month then I will have it ask for podcasts over 200 megs and see what's so large. but it doesn't make sense as it has never been an issue before.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s very strange.
yep nothing has changed in my usage over the years but a couple more podcasts. I doubt mroe then a few podcasts download over cellular as I usually open the app before I hop on my bike and get the new downloads. the podcast app has had its issues with wacky syncing and such. hell the podcast app has not run on my imac in almost a year it crashes. and the last several updates have not fixed it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
yep nothing has changed in my usage over the years but a couple more podcasts. I doubt mroe then a few podcasts download over cellular as I usually open the app before I hop on my bike and get the new downloads. the podcast app has had its issues with wacky syncing and such. hell the podcast app has not run on my imac in almost a year it crashes. and the last several updates have not fixed it.

If you go into Settings >> Cellular, there's a breakdown by app of the amount of data being used, see if there's anything suspicious.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you go into Settings >> Cellular, there's a breakdown by app of the amount of data being used, see if there's anything suspicious.
thats how I found it once I reset it on the 15th. its the only app using much data. no clue how it could use that much data in 5 days. it never has before. I have never used all my data. maybe 10 gigs a month but I never checked because I never got a email saying I used so much till last month.
Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 10.59.13 AM.jpg

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
thats how I found it once I reset it on the 15th. its the only app using much data. no clue how it could use that much data in 5 days. it never has before. I have never used all my data. maybe 10 gigs a month but I never checked because I never got a email saying I used so much till last month.
View attachment 9296
Wow!

I’ve tried two times over the years to shift all my podcast listening over to the stock iPhone app but it was a complete failure both times. My primary issue revolved around how it orders my podcasts. I use Downcast and that app is very intuitive to me by comparison. I see no advantage to using the stock app.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe some of your podcast producers decided recently to create higher quality audio so the DLs are suddenly bigger files?

the main one I download while riding is pos it is 49 megs. no way to get 12.6 gigs in 5 days. unless they all changed in the last two months then no way.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow!

I’ve tried two times over the years to shift all my podcast listening over to the stock iPhone app but it was a complete failure both times. My primary issue revolved around how it orders my podcasts. I use Downcast and that app is very intuitive to me by comparison. I see no advantage to using the stock app.
ya Plus my podcast app on my iMac keeps crashing. I changed back to pocket casts and they have a web version for my Mac. the app was set to only keep the newest podcast and delete them after listening but there are a lot of gigs of field when you look at storage. well I deleted it and now its gone.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
going over to pocket casts and using it exactly the same way I have used 600 megs in twice the time same podcasts and all.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I like Overcast. I started using it a couple years ago and have been quite happy with it.

Top Bottom
1 2