Comfort food

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_5998.jpeg

photo taken in USA, on Mar 26, 2015 20:25pm
how i long for these Texas Foot Long Red Hots during these days and nights.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I could go for shredded beef Szechuan style from any of the takeout places on Broadway above 96th Street!

But I settle for making poached eggs over wilted greens and buttered toast cubes with hot milk poured over, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sunday brunch was what it used to be once in awhile, but during the pandemic I make it when I feel like I'm about to cop an attitude over not being able to pop up to Ithaca for some decent Asian food w/ kinfolk, and also feeling too lazy to stir fry a lame equivalent.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
... pop up to Ithaca for some decent Asian food w/ kinfolk...
i was a regular at Moosewood Cafe in its early prime when it opened up on Seneca Street..

of course, there was also State Street Diner open 24/7 for all kinds of comfort food as well.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I eat hot dogs once every 4/5 years. I could really go for some Nathan's in Coney Island. I would occasionally head over during my senior year at John Dewey when I had a mostly open schedule for a couple of dogs and sit on the beach by my lonesome self wolfing down the dogs with everything on them.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
photo taken in USA, on Mar 26, 2015 20:25pm
how i long for these Texas Foot Long Red Hots during these days and nights.
I remember the first time I had a similar Hot Dog on my first visit to the US.

"OMG! Look at the size of this thing!" Well, I said that quite a few times during trips to the US! (No sniggering in the back!) 🥴😳😄
Most delicious though…

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I remember the first time I had a similar Hot Dog on my first visit to the US.

"OMG! Look at the size of this thing!" Well, I said that quite a few times during trips to the US! (No sniggering in the back!) 🥴😳😄
Most delicious though…
The land of excess and skyrocketing cases of diabetes. 😁

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The land of excess and skyrocketing cases of diabetes. 😁

So far I've managed to dodge a delicacy I see offered at a diner a couple counties over when I've been traveling through there on the way farther up state:

deep fried macaroni and cheese?!?!​
At first I thought it was a joke. Apparently it's not, you can even find images of it on the net. So I guess it's a thing one might file under heading of comfort food, at least until their first cardiovascular incident. Let me not judge though. It's not like I don't go for a bowl of pasta, olive oil and romano cheese at midnight now and then.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I miss the Texas Red Hots. I grew up in Western NY, and ate at Ted's many, many times. They don't sell them where I live now. It's also near-impossible to find good chicken wings, so I make 'em at home!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
deep fried macaroni and cheese?!?!
Welcome to the south where we’ll fry anything. Would you like a side of lard with that?
I miss the Texas Red Hots. I grew up in Western NY, and ate at Ted's many, many times. They don't sell them where I live now. It's also near-impossible to find good chicken wings, so I make 'em at home!
I went to high school in upstate NY, and Texas red hots was the thing. By the time I went back for my 20th h.s. Reunion I’d forgotten all about them, but that’s what was served at the picnic/family day.

Comfort food comes in many forms for me. Unfortunately, I’ve always just found food comforting in general.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Speaking of deep fried foods, we still haven't had any fast food since January and my wife is trying to talk me into getting takeout. We've lived like hermits this entire time and I really miss not having to cook and do dishes every day.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
So far I've managed to dodge a delicacy I see offered at a diner a couple counties over when I've been traveling through there on the way farther up state:

deep fried macaroni and cheese?!?!​
At first I thought it was a joke. Apparently it's not, you can even find images of it on the net. So I guess it's a thing one might file under heading of comfort food, at least until their first cardiovascular incident. Let me not judge though. It's not like I don't go for a bowl of pasta, olive oil and romano cheese at midnight now and then.
I remember a past presidential campaign where somebody, I think it was Dubya, was at a fair in the great American heartland, where they partook of a deep fried stick of butter on a stick, like a popsicle.

That's gotta be an instant coronary right there. 😵

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Speaking of deep fried foods, we still haven't had any fast food since January and my wife is trying to talk me into getting takeout. We've lived like hermits this entire time and I really miss not having to cook and do dishes every day.
We have not forgone delivery. We’d have starved to death weeks ago otherwise. Just last night we got delivery from Burger King. I know I can make Beyond burgers myself, but it’s not the same as getting the Impossible Whopper and just throwing away the bag.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
We have not forgone delivery. We’d have starved to death weeks ago otherwise. Just last night we got delivery from Burger King. I know I can make Beyond burgers myself, but it’s not the same as getting the Impossible Whopper and just throwing away the bag.
I have done that. I'm sure there are tons of people younger than me who'd be amused at my belatedly discovering that you can order BK online, use Apple Pay, drive up there, announce your pickup order, pull up to the window, wait about 30 seconds, and drive off.

Yes, their drive thru has a shield and yes, I wear a mask and wash my hands after getting home and getting the food out, but really, fast food in the age of coronavirus doesn't get much easier than that.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So tonight, we took what I'd consider some Southern comfort food, collard greens, that we had last night - and made a Vietnamese greens and [ground] turkey comfort dish, wow, just fantastic. Drained and braised the greens, a little extra garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, fresh onions and the greens were pretty fantastic from last night (I do a base of garlic, onion, grape seed oil, chili powder, pepper flake, chicken broth, 4-5 minutes on a rolling boil, then 30 minutes low simmer).

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
@DT yes. the gherkins on foot longs. yum. the photo is from my favourite location for hot dogs. in western new york state. Orchard Park. a place called Ted's.

@Thomas Veil maybe it was at the Iowa State Fair. famous for political candidates eating Corn Dogs.

@Alli Burger King take out. that sounds nice.

@SuperMatt yes. Ted's is the best. my father took us to the one under the Peace Bridge on summer evenings when we were very little. but when the one in Orchard Park opened it became a seasonal habit even when we were older. there was also a place called Taffy's near the OP Ted's. Taffy's was also great.

@Arkitect i totally agree. USAmerican portions are moon size. its the most common observation by all non-americans to be sure. going all the way back to Alexis de Tocqueville.

@ronntaylor Nathan's was a legend. i personally never ate at a Nathan's but it was always being used as the Standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2