Cord cutters - What's your favorite streaming services?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
T-mobile is currently offering a free year of Paramount+ to its customers. I just signed up... I will probably only be watching Star Trek unless somebody knows of another good show or two there....

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
T-mobile is currently offering a free year of Paramount+ to its customers. I just signed up... I will probably only be watching Star Trek unless somebody knows of another good show or two there....

I had my parents subscribe to Paramount+ when they cut the cord because they missed the TV crime dramas. That seemed to take care of that.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I had my parents subscribe to Paramount+ when they cut the cord because they missed the TV crime dramas. That seemed to take care of that.
I can watch CBS for free on local TV (tuned with antenna)... but I guess being able to stream old seasons is nice.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
Link? This isn't in their Tuesdays app, at least for me. I'm already a subscriber, but would happily switch things around if necessary.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to get AMC+ for when Better Call Saul comes back for the final season, but I'm undecided on if I am going to wait until after all the episodes air.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to get AMC+ for when Better Call Saul comes back for the final season, but I'm undecided on if I am going to wait until after all the episodes air.
I think we're pulling the same trigger. I'm planning on dumping Netflix for awhile so this'll compensate a bit. It'll be nice to watch new Sauls and Mad Men is considered endlessly re-watchable in our household.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

There was something I wanted awhile back that was on Paramount+ when there was some bundle with Showtime that I finally decided to tack on for a year. I can be talked into once-a-year hits on my budget. They do land on my calendar and reminders though if they are a promo with a balloon-style renewal rate.

And I finally went back to a Prime membership for the video after a brief rebellion against the price, bc a few things I wanted to watch just weren't available anywhere else, so yeah they got me. At least I managed to get back in before the most recent hike kicked in, so I've booted that issue down the road.

So my viewing options lineup remains absurdly rich for someone who still spends less time watching movies or TV than sitting in front of a sewing machine or a laptop screen full of newspapers and ebooks.

HBO Max - annual sub so I'm not often reminded of the pain, same as my sub to Financial Times.
Prime Video - until the next Prime membership rate hike, I swear...
Apple TV+ - I like it but tend to binge-watch and then neglect it for awhile
Netflix - month to month, sometimes teetering on the edge of a ditch
Paramount+ w/ Showtime bundle, took a one-time annual promo, it comes w/ live regional TV.

YTTV now and then for whatever. I most recently used it for the World Series and later for Winter Olympics. I do like their interface and DVR options but can't justify the price most of the time. Google is getting used to the churn, I guess. They even have a "pause your sub" option now for up to 3 months, but I'm not so fond of my past lists and DVR saves that I care to do more than just cancel and reboot. They hang onto that stuff for six months anyway I guess. So far I haven't ended up a newbie when I sign up again.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Let’s see, my local options (and current exchange rate of roughly 10SEK per USD)…

HBO Max is the only constant in my arsenal, plenty of good content and ~$4.50/month is cheap enough to not bother with hit and run even if I don’t use it a lot all the time.

Apple TV+ has quality content but not enough to keep me subscribed at ~$6/month, although I really do enjoy Ted Lasso, Foundation, For All Mankind, Earth at Night in Color and the likes. Had a year for free, will likely hit and run in the future.

Prime Video surprised me a bit with the amount of shows and movies available, and there are some originals I really enjoy. Competitive price at ~$6/month for the content and Prime Delivery. Still, hit and run, not fond of supporting Amazon.

Disney+ has plenty of content I love, and I really do enjoy the new Marvel and Star Wars shows. The problem is that I have the movies I enjoy most on DVD and/or BluRay already… At ~$9/month it is sadly another hit and run service.

Netflix has fallen from grace. It always had noticeably less content than the US counterpart, and at ~$13/month for HD or ~$18 for UHD, nah... Sure, I might consider a swift hit and run should they release some remarkable original.

C More for ~$15/month is absolutely not worth it for the movies and TV shows, extremely limited library. The sports package for ~$50/month is … well, either you want to legally watch the live sports they have the exclusive broadcast rights for, or you don’t.

ViaPlay has been too long since I used, can’t really comment on it now, probably still only worth it for live sports just like C More.

Not sure about Paramount+, haven’t tried it yet. ~$7/month is in line with other services. Will likely give it a shot one of these days.

Discovery+ is a complete confusing mess.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Let’s see, my local options (and current exchange rate of roughly 10SEK per USD)…

HBO Max is the only constant in my arsenal, plenty of good content and ~$4.50/month is cheap enough to not bother with hit and run even if I don’t use it a lot all the time.

Apple TV+ has quality content but not enough to keep me subscribed at ~$6/month, although I really do enjoy Ted Lasso, Foundation, For All Mankind, Earth at Night in Color and the likes. Had a year for free, will likely hit and run in the future.

Prime Video surprised me a bit with the amount of shows and movies available, and there are some originals I really enjoy. Competitive price at ~$6/month for the content and Prime Delivery. Still, hit and run, not fond of supporting Amazon.

Disney+ has plenty of content I love, and I really do enjoy the new Marvel and Star Wars shows. The problem is that I have the movies I enjoy most on DVD and/or BluRay already… At ~$9/month it is sadly another hit and run service.

Netflix has fallen from grace. It always had noticeably less content than the US counterpart, and at ~$13/month for HD or ~$18 for UHD, nah... Sure, I might consider a swift hit and run should they release some remarkable original.

C More for ~$15/month is absolutely not worth it for the movies and TV shows, extremely limited library. The sports package for ~$50/month is … well, either you want to legally watch the live sports they have the exclusive broadcast rights for, or you don’t.

ViaPlay has been too long since I used, can’t really comment on it now, probably still only worth it for live sports just like C More.

Not sure about Paramount+, haven’t tried it yet. ~$7/month is in line with other services. Will likely give it a shot one of these days.

We have HBO Max, Apple TV+, Disney+, Paramount, Prime Video, Curiosity Stream, and Netflix. I suspect we spend more time watching plain old YouTube videos than the rest of them put together though. I did download Tubi recently because it doesn't cost anything but the ads, though we haven't watched anything yet.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Just bumped Netflix back to the HD/2-stream plan (from the 4K/4-stream(, tomorrow is the start of the new billing cycle. So instead of making an additional $2, they're now making $1.50 less on our account ...

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Netflix
Acorn TV
Apple TV+
Disney+/Hulu/etc (included with our Verizon Wireless)

While we pay for Prime (ugh) - we don't watch much on it.

Looking to get Hulu, Paramount+ for Lower Decks (if we can't just buy it outright - which I prefer to do more and more these days vs signing up for yet another streaming service).

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My current list (including spouse):
  • Netflix
  • Prime
  • Disney + (wife)
  • Brit Box (wife)
  • HBO ($10 per month deal for a year, but May drop this after Guilded Age S1 is over.)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok just signed up for AMC+ free trial but I admit did not do my research. I see Mad Men, but no Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul. Can anyone tell me why I’d have this service without those shows?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Ok just signed up for AMC+ free trial but I admit did not do my research. I see Mad Men, but no Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul. Can anyone tell me why I’d have this service without those shows?

Arrgghh. You probably just ran into the moneymaker option called farming out exhibition windows for particular shows to other venues for awhile to make more money up front. They'll bring back the shows for awhile and then do that again... and again...

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Arrgghh. You probably just ran into the moneymaker option called farming out exhibition windows for particular shows to other venues for awhile to make more money up front. They'll bring back the shows for awhile and then do that again... and again...

That's weird though because those are AMC shows. That would be like a Netflix original being available on Amazon but not Netflix. On top of that those are probably the top 2 shows that would inspire people to subscribe to their service in the first place. It's bad business/PR to not have your top shows available on your service.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well they’d better have it in their streaming service or they are not worthy of your subscription dollars.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

How are you getting HBO for $4.50/month? I recently signed up for their deal and think I’m paying $10 per month,

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
How are you getting HBO for $4.50/month? I recently signed up for their deal and think I’m paying $10 per month,

I know I’m paying $5/month via a grandfathered directv stream (nee at&t now, nee directv now) account.

Top Bottom
1 2