Cord cutters - What's your favorite streaming services?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Cable bill has quietly crept up to $258.44 base (not including the fees and taxes) for 1 TV with DVR and 1Gb internet with modem rental. I am done and serious about cutting. Wish I had Fidium in my area, or an alternative like it. I don't want to get FiOS or use the other cable company in Boston. And I don't want to goto t-Mobile's horrible offering. Ugh...

Yeah, I agree, and that's pre- all the taxes, and fees, and whatnot, I bet it's close to $300.

Though I guess, what, like $100 is the internet + equipment?

I'll have to sit down and see what we're actually spending, I believe we have paid subs for:

Netflix
HBOMAX
Hulu
AMC+
Paramount+
Disney+

Amazon Prime too, but that's sort of "bundled".

Disney is actually free, I keep getting 6 month offers, our current is about to end but I have another one queued up. HBOMAX we got the yearly rate plus a discount through AMEX so like ~$10/month, AMC and Paramount both the annual discounts, like $7-ish/month I believe.

The great thing about streaming services is there's always a discount, or even a freebie, and you can always just activate for a month, and then shut it down, and that's with just a few clicks, no CS rep, no hassle.

Plus, if you use a common "box", you can get a nice unified experience across all TVs, like we do with AppleTVs (vs. a cable company's crappy STB).

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, and that's pre- all the taxes, and fees, and whatnot, I bet it's close to $300.

Though I guess, what, like $100 is the internet + equipment?

I'll have to sit down and see what we're actually spending, I believe we have paid subs for:

Netflix
HBOMAX
Hulu
AMC+
Paramount+
Disney+

Amazon Prime too, but that's sort of "bundled".

Disney is actually free, I keep getting 6 month offers, our current is about to end but I have another one queued up. HBOMAX we got the yearly rate plus a discount through AMEX so like ~$10/month, AMC and Paramount both the annual discounts, like $7-ish/month I believe.

The great thing about streaming services is there's always a discount, or even a freebie, and you can always just activate for a month, and then shut it down, and that's with just a few clicks, no CS rep, no hassle.

Plus, if you use a common "box", you can get a nice unified experience across all TVs, like we do with AppleTVs (vs. a cable company's crappy STB).
You and I are very close in what we're spending. I don't have AMC or Paramount but I do have Peacock and Apple TV+, and all the others you have. (Hulu is no ads), but I don't pay for Netflix. Comcast internet is ~$117.

Let me know what you come up with, I don't want to do the numbers myself :ROFLMAO:

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
I think I wrote about this in another post, but Xfinity recently (around 3 Months ago) held a meeting in the town my Mother lives in NH. They came right out and said, and I am paraphrasing "Because we are losing so many customers, we are forced to raise the rates." Seems like backward logic, but I guess they have to cover the operating costs into the investment they made in their infrastructure. Guarantee you that they will be coming to the government in the near future looking for a bailout. All the fiber they have laid out to create their network can't just be abandoned.

I have noticed it creeping up over the past year and a half. I was floored when I took a look at why my autopay was so high. I called them and ask (since I have been a loyal customer in good standing), if there were any promotions or deals they could offer me. I got a resounding NO. When I asked do you care if I leave, I was told essentially that they didn't.
Their network wouldn't be abandoned....their assets would be purchased as part of the Chapter 11 resolution. No doubt bought up by another ISP.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I just got Frontier to lower my monthly internet charges after it climbed to $65. In 2019, it was roughly $48. I called their retention dept. to ask if there was anything they could do or I would look into Spectrum or Verizon since both were offering better deals. Beginning this month, I'm being billed $45 + tax. They also gave me one month at the $65 price for free. I have found over the years that speaking to a retention service rep can be quite helpful.

FYI - These are prices for Los Angeles.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Their network wouldn't be abandoned....their assets would be purchased as part of the Chapter 11 resolution. No doubt bought up by another ISP.
True that someone would get it for pennies on the dollar. However Xfinity has run a lot of fiber into rural America, to get internet access to lower population areas. If they go under, not everyone could afford to maintain that customer base. That's me be pessimistic again, and if it ever got that bad they would most likely be given some bailout because they will be deemed "too big to fail."

gollum

Power User
Reaction score
I turned off ip access to my smart tvs because they invade privacy and the experience was so much worse than just using an Apple TV or firestick. But, yeah, if you need a tv-based app that can change the calculus a lot. User interfaces will be different, if the app is even available.
How do smart Tvs invade your privacy? I do enjoy the simplicity of using my remote to turn the tv on, and select the streaming service. If I have to use multiple remotes, that can be a bit of a turn-off. That's probably the biggest draw for cable tv. Turn it on, and go.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
How do smart Tvs invade your privacy? I do enjoy the simplicity of using my remote to turn the tv on, and select the streaming service. If I have to use multiple remotes, that can be a bit of a turn-off. That's probably the biggest draw for cable tv. Turn it on, and go.
They send information on everything you are watching back to the manufacturer.

I use one remote and don’t have to worry about the tv spying on me, since i turned off its internet connection.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ack. Just received the Disney+ price increase email. To keep the ad free annual plan I currently have it's a $30 jump. Wow.
Yeah, I don't think so.
Yeesh... I hear Apple TV is about to go up on me as well. Was using them as a hub for other services.

Currently have;
Amazon Prime
Apple TV
Disney+
Discovery+
Netflix

Thinking of adding
Hulu

Tried and Dumped
AMC+ (Really was the worst streaming service)
Paramount

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Yeesh... I hear Apple TV is about to go up on me as well. Was using them as a hub for other services.

Currently have;
Amazon Prime
Apple TV
Disney+
Discovery+
Netflix

Thinking of adding
Hulu

Tried and Dumped
Paramount
Wait on Hulu to see if they offer their November Black Friday special. I've been able to get it using this method for $1.99/month for one year.
As for AMC+ and Paramount, I think you did the right thing.

I really enjoyed ATV+ this year. All the shows I watched until I recently cancelled:
Ted Lasso
Severance
For All Mankind
See
Shining Girls
Black Bird
Slow Horses
Coda
Five Days At Memorial
The Morning Show S1 (haven't yet seen S2)

I currently have Peacock but only b/c I got in on their recent $1.99/month for a year deal.

I dropped Netlix when they had their recent price hike. I know they are all doing it. Even my Sling is going up $5/month next month so I'm deciding whether or not to keep it. Sling has been one of the best deals I've had for the price.

Most likely I'll stream a la carte moving forward. Meaning sign up for a month, binge what I want to see, then say hasta la bye-bye. I'm about to do this with Hulu since I only signed up for a month to watch The Handmaids Tale.

I'm going to miss NatGeo on Disney+ though.

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hulu w/o ads is a top notch service, IMO. Tons of old shows but alot of newer ones. I put it in 2nd place after HBO Max.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Currently have;
Amazon Prime
Apple TV
Disney+
Discovery+
Netflix

Thinking of adding
Hulu

Tried and Dumped
Paramount
Apple TV+‘s price is independent of the other services. You don’t need to subscribe to Apple TV+ to subscribe to the ”Channels” (showtime, etc.)

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I just started Hulu with live TV, including the Disney bundle. Hulu's live TV UI is a bit of a pain, but it's usable. I access all my streaming services on my Apple TV.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Apple TV+‘s price is independent of the other services. You don’t need to subscribe to Apple TV+ to subscribe to the ”Channels” (showtime, etc.)
Exactly. And I have been thinking of doing what @shadow puppet said. Binge for a month and then end the subscription. With Apple TV+ and tied into Apple Cash back, I at least get some money back for spending on subs. Eventually I get enough Apple Cash to doordash a real sub for a "free" lunch to my office, and double binge! 🤣

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Hulu's Black Friday deal (with ads) is back until midnight PST on the 28th. $1.99/month for one year. If you've already had an account and haven't been Hulu free for 30 days, just use a different email and credit card. Note: this is only for Hulu, not Hulu Live TV. I've been on a one month with Hulu w/ ads to watch The Handmaids Tale and the ads aren't that bad.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 11.23.59 AM.png

Top Bottom
1 2