Data privacy: Tik Tok notice re automatic collection of biometric information alarms US Senators

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
NPR has a piece up about reaction to language in Tik Tok's latest privacy policy update.

In a newly released letter to Shou Zi Chew, TikTok's CEO, Sens. Amy Klobuchar D-Minn., and John Thune, R-SD., wrote they were "alarmed" by TikTok's recent changes to its privacy policies that allow for the automatic collection of user biometric data, including physical and behavioral characteristics.

Klobuchar and Thune, who sent the letter on Aug. 9, are giving TikTok until next week to respond to number of questions. Among them, what constitutes a "faceprint" and a "voiceprint" and whether the data is being shared with third parties.

The excerpt below from the updated Tik Tok privacy policy appears to be the main concern of the senators' letter.... but the whole data collection policy (like that in a lot of privacy policy statements) is fairly alarming to begin with.

We may collect information about the images and audio that are a part of your User Content, such as identifying the objects and scenery that appear, the existence and location within an image of face and body features and attributes, the nature of the audio, and the text of the words spoken in your User Content. We may collect this information to enable special video effects, for content moderation, for demographic classification, for content and ad recommendations, and for other non-personally-identifying operations. We may collect biometric identifiers and biometric information as defined under US laws, such as faceprints and voiceprints, from your User Content. Where required by law, we will seek any required permissions from you prior to any such collection.

lizkat

Reaction score
Then there's the matter of going to hell behind good intentions. Take care choosing ad blockers (and browsers).

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Then there's the matter of going to hell behind good intentions. Take care choosing ad blockers (and browsers).

Probably not a good idea to install some no-name adblocker. If I’ve never heard of it I’m not going to trust it.

lizkat

Reaction score
Probably not a good idea to install some no-name adblocker. If I’ve never heard of it I’m not going to trust it.

Yeah these ad blockers aren't meant for anyone knows one end of a charging cable from the other, ya think?

Edit: They're meant for someone like my friend who hears part of a phrase like "data privacy" or "data security" and thinks oh my friend Liz always talking about that, let me put this on my computer.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Yeah these ad blockers aren't meant for anyone knows one end of a charging cable from the other, ya think?
I have a hard time remembering which end of the USB-C cable that goes into my iPad Pro and which goes into the USB-C charger. Probably used it four different ways by now.

Edit: They're meant for someone like my friend who hears part of a phrase like "data privacy" or "data security" and thinks oh my friend Liz always talking about that, let me put this on my computer.
The road to privacy hell is paved with good intentions. Truly hate people who take advantage of individuals trying to do the right thing without enough relevant knowledge.

Top Bottom
1 2