Dianne Feinstein Faces Resign Calls After Missing 60 Senate Votes in 2023

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
By no fault of her own she's missed a lot of votes holding appointments for the entire State but it's due to her age. I see two issues here, first is that there really needs to be an age limit on these folks. The other is they need to work it out so that if a single person is unable to attend that it doesn't block everything like this, it's a policy change more than anything.

I appreciate all the time Feinstein has put it but it's time for her to retire and enjoy the rest of her life.

California Senator Dianne Feinstein is facing calls to resign as her ill health has seen her miss around three-quarters of all Senate votes this year, impacting President Joe Biden's judicial nominees.

Feinstein, 89, is recovering after being hospitalized with shingles in early March. Before she became ill with the painful but non life-threatening condition in February, the Democrat had missed two Senate votes in 2023.

Feinstein has not returned to Washington D.C. as she recovers at her San Francisco home. Since March 7, Feinstein has missed a further 58 Senate votes, meaning she has failed to vote in 60 votes of the 82 Senate votes taken in 2023 so far.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Agree. And ditto with Biden (in a well-orchestrated manner, where a well-qualified candidate can step up in next year's primary).
I definitely have my concerns about Biden and would hope a(n electable) younger person would win the nomination with Biden not standing but with Feinstein … well … it went way past concerns since before the last election she won. Voters had the opportunity to elect another Democrat who would’ve been fine and didn’t. Nobody in the establishment nor indeed her own family was apparently able to tell her the truth and protect her from herself and voters just went with name recognition rather than recognition of her decline.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The only risk I see if Biden gets a challenge is their worthiness against Trump, I think of we see another matchup with Trump/Biden it's a walk for Democrats.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Newsom would have my vote in a heartbeat.

Same here.

Don't know if this would/could happen...but I'd like to see Biden over the next six months coming to the conclusion that it's time for him to step aside, and then strongly endorse Newsom. Even better, and to make it more palatable, agree to be one Newsom's senior advisors on foreign policy matters.

Yeah, that would certainly suck for Harris. But sometimes you just have to do the right thing for the good of the country.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
The only risk I see if Biden gets a challenge is their worthiness against Trump, I think of we see another matchup with Trump/Biden it's a walk for Democrats.
Yeah if it comes down to it where there’s no obvious person who can do it, stay with Biden - he just wouldn’t be my first choice (nor was he last time, but again if it comes down to winning the election against a Trump/Trump like figure vs my ideal candidate who’s riskier … well that’s a no brainer for me)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Same here.

Don't know if this would/could happen...but I'd like to see Biden over the next six months coming to the conclusion that it's time for him to step aside, and then strongly endorse Newsom. Even better, and to make it more palatable, agree to be one Newsom's senior advisors on foreign policy matters.

Yeah, that would certainly suck for Harris. But sometimes you just have to do the right thing for the good of the country.
Any reason Harris couldn't jump on to Newsom's ticket? 🤷‍♂️

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I really don't get the ego on some of these elderly statesmen/women. It's not even party over country. It's individual over party and country. Find another candidate you feel could best continue your legacy, endorse and help them, and then step aside and go enjoy what years you have left on this earth.

I'm hopeful this habit will die with the boomers. I think the newer generations are more aware that changes need to be made and nobody should be in office their entire life.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Heh...for some reason that option didn't occur to me.

I guess because I figured she'd be unhappy for not getting Biden's nod for prez. But yeah, no reason. Or, I guess she could also run for prez.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd like us to get to a place where the people, not members of Congress, get to vote on Congressional issues that are clearly self serving and a conflict of interests for members of Congress like term limits, age limits, money in politics, and stock trading. It's like an employer asking employees to vote if everybody should get a pay decrease. I wonder how that vote will end. I'd even be up for a compromise on term limits. 2 terms max and after 2 terms out you can run again.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

IMO that's an awful idea. A big concern in regards to Biden's age is they don't want Harris taking over. She'd be a lead weight on an already hard to sell Newsom ticket for a lot of the country. You'd be hard pressed to find anybody go "ok, but only if we can keep Harris" I'm pro Newsom but also know he would be hard to sell in some states. The best defense of Harris I've heard so far is great prosecutor, horrific politician. She should just do what she's best at and there's nothing wrong with that.

I heard somebody recently blame where we are at now squarely on W Bush going as far as to say that if it wasn't for Bush there's a good chance both the Obama and Trump administrations might not have happened. People were so disgusted with Bush and Republicans by extension that it lowered the bar to more people being open to our first black President which in turn triggered the regressive reactionaries to open the door for Trump. There might be some truth to that.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
People were so disgusted with Bush and Republicans by extension that it lowered the bar to more people being open to our first black President which in turn triggered the regressive reactionaries to open the door for Trump.

Yeah, that damn tan suit. Such audacity! :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
IMO that's an awful idea. A big concern in regards to Biden's age is they don't want Harris taking over. She'd be a lead weight on an already hard to sell Newsom ticket for a lot of the country. You'd be hard pressed to find anybody go "ok, but only if we can keep Harris" I'm pro Newsom but also know he would be hard to sell in some states. The best defense of Harris I've heard so far is great prosecutor, horrific politician. She should just do what she's best at and there's nothing wrong with that.

I heard somebody recently blame where we are at now squarely on W Bush going as far as to say that if it wasn't for Bush there's a good chance both the Obama and Trump administrations might not have happened. People were so disgusted with Bush and Republicans by extension that it lowered the bar to more people being open to our first black President which in turn triggered the regressive reactionaries to open the door for Trump. There might be some truth to that.
Obama wasn't just someone to elect because Bush was bad, he was a movement regardless of the color of his skin, try not to sell him short.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Obama wasn't just someone to elect because Bush was bad, he was a movement regardless of the color of his skin, try not to sell him short.

He was a great salesman with sincerity but I don’t think you can completely discount the color of his skin. For some it was a major sign of progress and for others it was a sign of concern. Leaning on hope for a better future isn’t exactly an original political idea. I don’t believe he could have won as a black man any earlier in our history. At this point the right still has a list of races and religions that wouldn’t be accepted as leader of the country and on the left not being a straight white male automatically equals bonus points.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Update.

k5awp31polta1.jpg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

What? As far as I've heard her office has been a mental Weekend at Bernies for years with almost all decisions made by her staff and she just signs off on it. That's not a "medical situation" somebody recovers from.

On the other end of the spectrum you have the tragedy of John Fetterman who was believed to be the fighting firebrand the Democrats desperately needed. That was before the stroke and subsequent mental health leave. Now I could see him not even running for a second term with him believing he is no longer capable of being that Senator he and the people want him to be.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
On the other end of the spectrum you have the tragedy of John Fetterman who was believed to be the fighting firebrand the Democrats desperately needed. That was before the stroke and subsequent mental health leave. Now I could see him not even running for a second term with him believing he is no longer capable of being that Senator he and the people want him to be.

You could see that during the election. Yet the media covered for him and now he is a Senator who can't perform his duties. A disservice to the citizens of PA.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
You could see that during the election. Yet the media covered for him and now he is a Senator who can't perform his duties. A disservice to the citizens of PA.

In fairness in that situation I think you need to allow for a recovery period that the election didn’t allow for. There are plenty of people who function just fine after a stroke with differing recovery periods. It was unfair for either side to decide the future during that recovery period. If it was a Republican candidate the right and left media would have done an exact flip on the coverage.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now Pelosi is suggesting people wanting Feinstein to resign are sexist. Some people just don’t know when they are contributing to making a worthy cause completely meaningless.

Top Bottom
1 2