Disappearing Samsung chip

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
Very, very strange. What megacorporation ghosts its own press event? I can understand a delay or even a cancellation. Embarrassing for Samsung, but it happens.

The best guess I can come up with is management being in some kind of deep crisis arguing about whether to actually delay or cancel the chip, something so bad it paralyzed everyone and made it impossible to run the event or say anything. All kinds of bad things going on there, if true.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
The best guess I can come up with is management being in some kind of deep crisis arguing about whether to actually delay or cancel the chip, something so bad it paralyzed everyone and made it impossible to run the event or say anything. All kinds of bad things going on there, if true.
Why not delay and then cancel the chip, if needed (like Apple did with AirPower)? Surely it's better than not showing up at all 😂

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
No mention of it on The Verge, Tech Crunch or Digital Trends. Can you imagine Apple ghosting the press in a Apple Silicon announcement and getting nearly no negative press. Weird.

Edit: 9To5Google notes in their story that the reveal is “postponed” and then quote that impeccable source, “Ice Universe” as their definitive explanation. :p:p:p
Update 1/11: Samsung has not held the reveal of the Exynos 2200 to day as scheduled, for reasons unclear. The company’s tweet referenced in our coverage has also been deleted. Ice Universe saysthe launch has been “postponed.”

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Clearly they knew the status of the chip, it's not like a courier came running in same day with test results and they were like, "Oh damn, let's cancel!" :D

This sounds like a last minute call by upper management who were weighing the the embarrassment of showing up with a questionable product vs. the embarrassment of just saying/doing nothing. The latter can be covered by some PR magic, "We decided to do X/Y/Z ..."

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
A more reliable source: Business Korea: Exynos 2200 launch postponed

Samsung Electronics has decided to put off the Exynos 2200 unveiling, which was initially scheduled for Jan. 11, in consideration of the customer’s schedule.

"We are planning to unveil the new application processor at the time of launching a new Samsung smartphone," a Samsung Electronics official said. “There are no problems with the AP’s production and performance.”

Top Bottom
1 2