Electric Vehicles: Tesla specific talk, current firmware, purchasing, modifications

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What this thread about?

A place for Tesla owners, past, present and future, to discuss Tesla specific topics. Their online purchasing process, what options to choose, questions and concerns for potential owners. For current owners, all things about the S, 3, X or Y, firmware upgrades, aftermarket parts, tips and tricks. And for the future, upcoming Tesla vehicles, the Cybertruck and speculation about new Tesla technology.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
New App version 4.7 (might have to do the Search >> Details >> Update trick).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah, I'm still on 22.4.5.3

We're going to take our first trip without a free destination charger, without free Supercharger miles, curious to see how this works out cost-wise.

We could use a very close by parking garage, it's flat rate, and if you pay to park, they have a couple of free chargers, but seems like a PITA since they limit charge time. The plan is to hit the SuC on the way up, go to ~85%, park at the hotel (should be at about 80%), then hit a different SuC on the way back, just for a little "top off" :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I also found out the "why", for the per kW vs. per minute, the latter is in states where they disallow electricity to be resold. So if you're charging, and getting billed per kW at a higher rate that the local area, that's reselling it with a markup. For the time based charging, you're paying a service fee for connecting to the charger (that just happens to be dispensing electrons ...)

Clearly it's a workaround, but some folks said the time based generally works out cheaper, especially with a fast charging vehicle (I will of course nav-to-SuC so the battery gets preconditioned for max charge rate)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Source code in 22.8 also has the nav taking into account of wind, temperature, humidity, etc. Though maybe China only for now?

Oh wow, that's super slick. I guess it's fed by both local sensors and GPS location + weather data over cellular.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A few weeks ago Tesla added tire pressure the API (meaning external apps can access those values). Tessie as of the latest version has a tire pressure indicator. :) I'm sure this will come to the OEM app in the very near future.

1648136074565.png

I also just updated to x.4.5.17, which was just a bug fix for 4.5 so no new features.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score

Every time I leave my house I see 5 or 6 before I hit my first traffic light, I've never seen any other car maker saturating the roadways with such dominance.
Seeing tons more of them on our way to UCLA these days too. We went on a road trip a few days ago for spring break and were surprised to be in a Tesla train on the i-5 (4 of us Teslas were in a row). That was fun. lol.

Had a few red Teslas wave at us too. It's a red Tesla thing! lol.

Loving this car.

1648238986843.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My boss had his new Model Y in the office today. White leather interior. Might be okay for him, but I’d be paranoid in there with a coffee or new pair of jeans.

It's apparently pretty resilient, resists stains (or is easily cleaned - some guy on YT has dumped all sorts of things on his and it cleaned up). It's actually "vegan leather", i.e., it's synthetic, there's some people with cars with a lot of use, years old, and it still looks mint.

That being said, it's probably not a good idea for some folks, and for me, I think works much better with certain exterior colors (I considered red, and would've gone with the black interior, but would've had to cover up the wood components with carbon fiber or something ...). It's pretty spectacular with my MSM exterior, and it gives the interior a super open and airy feel, it's such a unique interior treatment, I couldn't not get it :)

Speaking of [Tesla] exterior colors, there's 3 new names in some of the car configuration code, looks like some new options coming (which is long overdue).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Possible new Tesla colors extracted from the app:
  • Deep Crimson Multicoat
  • Abyss Blue Multicoat
  • Mercury Silver Metallic

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Deep crimson sounds nice. His is a dark grey.

Yeah, same as mine, and I also refer to it as dark gray, dark gray metallic, etc., even though the name is MSM (Midnight Silver Metallic ). It has a slight hint of blue (kind of like a lotta of these medium/dark metallic type colors), it's pretty neat in the right light.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Got these in today (late birthday present from Wife 🥰), really beautiful construction, leather, plush, use a white leather strap that kind of just slips into the slot around the headrest (even though the seat looks like one piece). If these were in the car new, I wouldn't doubt they were OEM.

... and OMG, they so awesome, support the neck and base of the head so nicely. :cool: There's a couple of different length straps and different hoops on the pillow itself, so it's somewhat adjustable.

IMG_1048_1920.jpg

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Wow, even with the closings, supply chain issues, etc., Tesla delivered 310,000 cars this quarter, a single quarter record.

The other manufacturers had many years to catch up but kept dragging their heels. With gas prices through the roof, and car prices in the stratosphere, they are missing out on billions in profits. It’s really crazy to me to see how slow the auto industry moves. The old-school executives will keep falling farther and farther behind, pushing SUVs with 10 MPG, and figuring out ways to fudge numbers to meet quarterly goals, while getting crushed by the faster moving auto makers.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wow, even with the closings, supply chain issues, etc., Tesla delivered 310,000 cars this quarter, a single quarter record.

Not sure about where everyone else lives but in CA it's almost every 4th or 5th car on the road, it's hard to imagine how fast they're pumping these things out.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not sure about where everyone else lives but in CA it's almost every 4th or 5th car on the road, it's hard to imagine how fast they're pumping these things out.
See quite a lot of model 3’s here. Certainly one of the more common EV’s around.